Coil Over Conversion Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy I haven't updated this in quite some time.

Thus far:
I am still happy with the front setup - has not changed since the first post. Still rides decent up front. It is the rear that is causing me problems and is effecting the total ride quality of the truck.

I also have since gone through 2 sets of rims, one set 22's GM and now 24" U2 55's, that have a 35 sidewall. I must say though even with the small sidewall the quality is not that bad. At least not as much as I thought, but these will still be going away - makes my tahoe slower than it already is.

In short, still loving it, but of course still rides like a lowered Tahoe, especially this low, but not like a low rider. I believe I actually need a c-notch to help the rear, but for the front it is fine and still have no plans of switching back to tbars.

I need a place to work on it to fine tune everything and need a suspension expert with me, lol, but the space is my limitation right now.

I have started to wonder as well, if I can switch to a silverado's front setup w/ springs and shocks - change the LCA's to silverados, not the 4wd version as they are tbars. if that makes sense. maybe then i could get a heavier spring for the front. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Did not forget about this thread -

Finally, yes finally tuned the front suspension and got the shock in the correct spot / halfway point. Mine has been on the lower side of the coil over - meaning instead of being at the halfway point, (which it needs to be at) mine was about 1" below the halfway point.

Did not change any firmness settings on the shock, but right after fixing the level I noticed a big difference in ride. Even with my 24's on w/ 35 sidewall. Made the ride much much more bearable w/ the 24's.

I can not stress to anyone doing this, Do what atomic says and put the shock / coil over on the halfway point and leave it there so the rebound and travel is at the right point and not bottoming out all the time. Your ride will thank you. Wish I would have had the time to fix this along time ago.

And truck is level still as well. Back is actually a little lower than the front, now. But not eye noticeable.

( will say was about to give up on the ride of this, but now that its right, the ride is better and going to keep it up and change to smaller rims and see how it goes from there. But with just the fix, It made quite the difference. )

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats great to hear! Wish i got mine right, think i had other issues tho. Whats your fender measurements up fronts?
Glad you finally had some time to show her some love. Congrats on school by the way!
Billy

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats great to hear! Wish i got mine right, think i had other issues tho. Whats your fender measurements up fronts?
Glad you finally had some time to show her some love. Congrats on school by the way!
Billy

Yeah, im not sure about yours.
Measurements - have not done yet. Will get ya some soon.

Finally had a chance to use friends lift and do it the proper way. Much better than what I have told you.

Thanks - it was a long road.

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you finally got it dialed in! Your right, it does make a big difference. If you are feeling extra froggy you could even put it 10% higher up so it leaves 60% travel for compression and 40% for extension, but I wouldnt go much more than that.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you finally got it dialed in! Your right, it does make a big difference. If you are feeling extra froggy you could even put it 10% higher up so it leaves 60% travel for compression and 40% for extension, but I wouldnt go much more than that.

You know I was thinking about going a little higher. But its about even right now with the rear, so im happy.

But may of finally half way understood the spring rates, etc. B/c adjusting the coil up to halfway, it started to get tough - I could feel the spring actually getting more stiff. Should of listened to you a long time ago. (but time was not on my side then. lol)

Tonight I changed the shocks down one click after work and made the ride a little softer than yesterday. Think its about 12 clicks or so now. Going to go down to 10 tomorrow and see how it rides.

Any of you know how the other guy on PT.net truck is going?

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which guy? The guy that did the bushings? Last I heard he was working on other parts of his truck and he considers the coilovers done and good

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which guy? The guy that did the bushings? Last I heard he was working on other parts of his truck and he considers the coilovers done and good

Yeah that guy. (should of been more specific huh, lol)

Good to hear. Im going to try eventually once i get this all squared away, your bushings you sent me & other ones I have. See how they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd