Coil Over Conversion Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifting seems to be a bit tricky...there seems to be a clearance issue with the UCA when you go higher than just a "crank". I saw that kit you talked about but they dont make it anymore, so I made my own haha.

Go to home depot and get a 3/8" drill bit, all you need :p

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know... Slacking and everytime i seem to get someone to do it for me, they dont have the drill bit. ( i have nothing to drill it)

If possible yes, I see lots of guys with coil overs lifted on tahoes. if my memory is right, i saw a company made almost identical brackets as atomics for a lifted tahoe w/ coil overs. I honestly dont see why it would be any different than it is now, just higher.

But i could be wrong, I have only started to look into lifting. ( just a phase, as im tired of the look) probably keep it low

Yea I remember seeing a few of those trucks. Well you can only lift it so high before you need a drop cross member if I recall.

I just think it kinda sucks to have to buy a 6" kit just to no use all of the torsion bar portion of it.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifting seems to be a bit tricky...there seems to be a clearance issue with the UCA when you go higher than just a "crank". I saw that kit you talked about but they dont make it anymore, so I made my own haha.

Go to home depot and get a 3/8" drill bit, all you need :p

Yeah i read that somewhere in these threads about a guy doing that with your brackets.

3/8" maybe this weekend i'll go and get it done. got to buy a spanner wrench also, lost mine. doh

Yea I remember seeing a few of those trucks. Well you can only lift it so high before you need a drop cross member if I recall.

I just think it kinda sucks to have to buy a 6" kit just to no use all of the torsion bar portion of it.

6" is a big difference from where i am now, but like i said, Im new to lifting. Not sure if it is even reasonable to do that. May just slam this thing to the ground for a while, then just go up some - higher than now.

Time will tell, just need to get it all settled now first.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:hmmm2: dont do it stay low......

ha ha.. Yeah, the more I think about it and drive, I know i would have to change my style of driving. So may just slam it down far as I can and go with it. lol

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really an update on the coil overs, but swapped wheels with my bro to these: (pic gone)

Goodyear eagle tires 22" from Nitto 420's GM SS wheels.

Man, just went to go eat after we swapped and holy cow I actually love the suspension again. This was the smoothest it has been in a while, (i change settings alot though) went the same route i always travel that has some crazy bumps and nothing. It was smoooth riding, Honestly. I dont know if it is because of the tires or rims, but either way much much better ride than w/ my 20's and nitto 420's. Still have the shocks at firm setting.

But, these have a low offset compared to my SS wheels and rear is about a 5mm (lol) from hitting the rear plastic wheel well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is not dead and here is a short update over the last 2 months.

Found out today after removing third row for some room to haul something that the Bel-tech springs in the rear suck and is what is making my ride rough. It is in turn making the front compensate for the rear. When driving today, loaded down (not a lot, but had more weight) my Tahoe drove really nice for the roads i choose. Not jarring or bouncy or anything. A little stiff, but that is due to the shock settings, but still rode pretty darn good and got me thinking of switching the rear to tony's springs, since they are not progressive rating.

But now another factor is coming into to play and will speak on it when it happens.

Otherwise - all is still good with the coil over conversion. Still like it, still needs some fine tuning - (time has not been on my side) still rides good - especially now that i found out about the rear, and not mad that i changed.

For whomever still reads this-

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky, I cry ever time I pass my coil set up on the bench. I felt like I had race car parts on my denali, no more for you. Lol. Glad it's working out. I gotta update my thread.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it!

Have no fear richard I have not forgot about this, but school has been taking up every last minute i have. But 4 weeks to go and i'll be done. Then the real fun begins.

Lucky, I cry ever time I pass my coil set up on the bench. I felt like I had race car parts on my denali, no more for you. Lol. Glad it's working out. I gotta update my thread.

ha ha ha... I wish you were closer so we could figure it out for you. I am sure there is still a way to have it. I'll have to rack your brain once i get the chance - or maybe once that happens I will have the time to mess with mine and correspond with the final product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st