Coatings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone try a paint coating yet? I'm going to do a full detail and remove swirls. I'm considering a paint coating instead of a sealant/wax. I would like to hear thoughts/opinions from people that have used a coating before.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOTS AND LOTS of information on Autogeek.net on this.

A tried and true one that has lots of raves and even pro detailers use is Carpro C quartz UK version.

Also lots of buzz on the Duragloss Enviroshield and its cheaper.

Older favorite is Opticoat

Keep is mind water marks will not be prevented. You will end up polishing before the coating will give out imo.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Also coatings are finicky and can be harder to lay down evenly sometimes. The temperatures must be right.

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOTS AND LOTS of information on Autogeek.net on this.

A tried and true one that has lots of raves and even pro detailers use is Carpro C quartz UK version.

Also lots of buzz on the Duragloss Enviroshield and its cheaper.

Older favorite is Opticoat

Keep is mind water marks will not be prevented. You will end up polishing before the coating will give out imo.

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Also coatings are finicky and can be harder to lay down evenly sometimes. The temperatures must be right.

Thanks. I'm actually on AutoGeek reading. I might go with a coating that is less permanent and easier to apply (they last 1-2 years). Just trying to avoid polishing swirls out every year on my black daily driver w 13 yo paint if ya know what I mean.

AdamsPolishes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be sure to temper your expectations with any coating's resistance to swirls and scratches.

If you aren't using solid wash techniques, you can and will still create damage that will have to be polished out.

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be sure to temper your expectations with any coating's resistance to swirls and scratches.

If you aren't using solid wash techniques, you can and will still create damage that will have to be polished out.

Thanks, I use a 2 bucket method, but the winter is rough in NY. I figure, with a coating, I can use Touchless car washes and not have to worry about them stripping my sealant.

AdamsPolishes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We do not, and likely won't any time soon.

Our customers, at least the overwhelming majority of them, enjoy spending time in their garages rubbing on their vehicles, glazing, waxing, polishing, etc.

Since these coatings are made out to be relatively maintenance free, it would take away from a lot of the "therapy" that most look forward to on the weekends. Our sealants last somewhere in the 6 months range, which is great protection in terms of a sealant or wax. They are also INCREDIBLY easy to use.

Not saying it will never happen, but right now a coating in nowhere on our radar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia