Clunking from one side when going over bumps

Discussion in 'Street Suspension' started by derekjl, Apr 28, 2018.

Sponsored By: DJM Belltech
  1. derekjl

derekjl Full Access Member

Name:
    Derek
    Just noticed this last night, 1995 Tahoe, 69k miles. The first "clunk" sound happened when I had to stop very quickly to avoid a deer in the road. I did not notice it again until today. It only happens when going over rough pavement, bumps, etc. It is only on the front passenger's side. Where should I start? Would the most common thing be a blown shock? It also almost sounds like a spring shifting slightly, kind of hard to describe. The truck is on the original suspension components.

2. east302

east302 Full Access Member

Name:
    east302
    Jack it up on that side and try to move the wheel, pushing it back and forth at 3/9 and 12/6 o’clock. There shouldn’t be any movement.

Also have someone bouncing that corner while you look at the two shock mounting bolts. See if there’s any movement there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. derekjl

Name:
    Derek
    So it was a torsion bar mount causing all that noise. I didn't have time to deal with it myself so I took it to the only mechanic I trust. Replaced it, totally quiet now. Only thing I am wondering, should these be replaced in pairs or is it OK to just replace one. The other was totally fine. Thanks for the advice!

4. east302

east302 Full Access Member

Name:
    east302
    In theory, the other one (stabilizer bar end link) wouldn’t be far behind in requiring replacement, but it’s probably fine to leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. derekjl

Name:
    Derek
    Appreciate it. Glad it was something simple. I swear it now drives even better than before it broke. Maybe it was on the way out for some time.

6. 4myfreedom

4myfreedom Full Access Member

Name:
    Lamont
    Where is the torsion bar mount I have a sound like hitting metal and everything is new

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk