Climate control issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigb196637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2006 yukon with electronic climate control....when adjusting temp from 90 degrees down around 80-86 degrees the air turns cold instead of warm. Any suggestions why this happens. Mostly driver side control does it.

OP
OP
B

bigb196637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Coolant isnt the issue with this. Its hot when set at 90 but decrease the temp and the air gets colder

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Coolant isnt the issue with this. Its hot when set at 90 but decrease the temp and the air gets colder
Describe the issue more. I'm not getting a good grasp of what the problem is. Right now, it sounds like normal operation. You turn the heat down and the hvac system compensates

OP
OP
B

bigb196637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When the vehicle climate control temp is at 90 degrees and when you turn down the heat to a more comfortable setting like 82 or 83 degress the air blowing from the vent is cold as cold as the outside temp if it was 32 degrees outside not the warm 82 or 83 degrees I will have it set at.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Does it blow cold and stay cold? The temperature sensor for the climate control is above your head. You'd think it was a microphone at first glance. I've had it a couple times, mainly when it's really cold, where the heat rises and the sensor only sucks in the hot air despite the rest of the cabin being cooler. Turn the fan speed up a little bit and aim the vents up. Does it still do it?

Climate control on full auto or no?

OP
OP
B

bigb196637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes it does blow and stay cold. I had check that out but its not the case. The never checked to see if it did it in auto but it does do it in manual control. I have noticed that when it does I have pulled over shut the engine and restart it then works like it should. I'm thinking it has to do with the blend doors or the control console but unsure where to the blame to.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You gotta remember tho...its electronic climate control man..

So if you have it cranked to the warmest setting, got the cabin incredibly warm as hell (way over 80F) and then go to turn it down, then YES the air will become cold.
It becomes cold because now you have set it to the mid range or maybe even 80F which is just lower than 90F. The cabin sensor is reporting to the module what the actual temp is and it's going to compensate for that until the temp gets closer to what you set it at.
It is NOT a manual position knob like a system with manual controls.
The ONLY time the blend doors will be set fixed in 1 position is either max hot or max cold.
Any other setting is automatic and the system is going to keep the cabin at that temp as best as possible.
If you dont like how that is, I'm sorry theres not much you can do for this.

Best thing to do would be to set it at 75 to 80. I wish you could switch it to truly manual control like older systems.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk