Cleaning Leather Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of brush should I use? I know some hard ones can damage the leather?

I saw one person used a horsehair brush, it looked like a shoe polishing brush. I used a clean paintbrush. The brush idea works quite well, but the hot cleaner worked really well. It still took several attempts on my seats, but I was removing 14 years of ground in dirt.
Larry

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No-go on the steam clean for leather.

I haven't had the need to deep-clean leather in a long time, but I used to use Lexol with good results.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of saddle soap and the soft bristle brush found in the shoe shine kits. It wont remove dye from blue jeans, but it did an amazing job of getting all of the dirt out of the creases and grains in the light gray leather in a BMW that I used to own.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A hand/nail cleaning brush usually works real good.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a detailer's perspective some of those ideas mentioned above scare me! Haha. From watching other detailers I know it's pretty easy to damage leather. The way I learned is pretty simple. I buy most of my detailing products from chemical guys based out of LA. I buy their leather cleaner and their conditioner. Spray on cleaner from bottle and scrub with a soft bristled brush. Once dirt is loose than I towel dry with my microfibers that are only for seats. My leather doesn't get very dirty so it only takes one scrub to get clean. But if leather is very dirty repeating the process twice usually will do the trick. Then I follow behind with the conditioner on another clean, dry seat microfiber. I'll snap a few pics of the products and towels.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used Murphy’s oil soap and a microfiber cloth with good results. Then follow with a conditioner. The leather gets that dull look back to it.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a detailer's perspective some of those ideas mentioned above scare me! Haha. From watching other detailers I know it's pretty easy to damage leather. The way I learned is pretty simple. I buy most of my detailing products from chemical guys based out of LA. I buy their leather cleaner and their conditioner. Spray on cleaner from bottle and scrub with a soft bristled brush. Once dirt is loose than I towel dry with my microfibers that are only for seats. My leather doesn't get very dirty so it only takes one scrub to get clean. But if leather is very dirty repeating the process twice usually will do the trick. Then I follow behind with the conditioner on another clean, dry seat microfiber. I'll snap a few pics of the products and towels.

Before I read this thread, I was using a product called "TuffStuff" Leather cleaner and conditioner (mistake, BTW). Now the protectant has locked in dirt that wouldn't come out the first time. Even the chemical Guys cleaner won't cut through the layer. Where I didn't use Tuffstuff, Chemical Guys cleaner does an excellent job. Suggestions?

Larry

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I read this thread, I was using a product called "TuffStuff" Leather cleaner and conditioner (mistake, BTW). Now the protectant has locked in dirt that wouldn't come out the first time. Even the chemical Guys cleaner won't cut through the layer. Where I didn't use Tuffstuff, Chemical Guys cleaner does an excellent job. Suggestions?

Larry
Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner. It's not something I'd use often but it took 15 years worth of dirt and grime off my leather and doesn't appear to have damaged it. Use it with a scrub brush, in small areas, followed by a clean cloth before it dries. Then use a leather conditioner.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Larry
Chemical guys also makes a product called fabric clean that's made for upholstery shampoo. It also works well on leather and it's a little bit stronger. You might try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63