Cleaning and oiling a k&n

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXBowtieGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clean mine with Dawn. Works like a champ. And I can do it in the kitchen sink with hot water. Light coat of K$N oil on the dirt side of the filter. 3 years and no codes or lights.

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Been cleaning/oiling K&N filters on trucks/motorcycles for years. The K&N cleaner is really good! Dirt/grease basically melts off. That being said I'm pretty sure it's a close formula to other cleaners like Purple Power (Autozone) or SuperClean. Go easy with the oil. I oil both sides, but don't overdo it. I like to clean my filters once a year so I buy the big bottle of cleaner and oil. Much cheaper that way. I've found Amazon to have the best prices vs. the local parts stores.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran a K&N filter the first 15K miles I got my truck. I've been running a Purolator the last 7K and have not noticed a change in performance or mileage. Has anybody else seen a difference without using a cold air kit.

OP
OP
05Single

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Yea I was looking at kits on ebay to save a few bucks. Maybe just only buy the oil. I have simple green and purple power in the garage already.
I don't see any reason to oil both sides, clean side would only be just for looks I guess.
I'm watching tons of videos of guys soaking the filter in oil, using half the bottle lol. I had a feeling that didn't look right lol. I'll go super light with the oil, I mean the filter by itself should do most the work as far as blocking dirt and such.
My plan is to replace the stock baffled tube with a straight tube. That combined with a k&n drop in filter should make a difference. Plus my homemade ram air system.

TXBowtieGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I was looking at kits on ebay to save a few bucks. Maybe just only buy the oil. I have simple green and purple power in the garage already.
I don't see any reason to oil both sides, clean side would only be just for looks I guess.
I'm watching tons of videos of guys soaking the filter in oil, using half the bottle lol. I had a feeling that didn't look right lol. I'll go super light with the oil, I mean the filter by itself should do most the work as far as blocking dirt and such.
My plan is to replace the stock baffled tube with a straight tube. That combined with a k&n drop in filter should make a difference. Plus my homemade ram air system.

OK well since you brought it up we want to see pics.