Civilianizing the '15 Tahoe PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RC45

RC45

Reaction score
Thanks - we turned 42,000 miles old this weekend. Loved every mile. The only real pain is the random disco lights from the interior lights. Other than that no real complaints 2 years in.

This truck is a fantastic distance cruiser. With good quality e85 it has no trouble cruising at *cough* 80 or *cough* 90+... and even has power in reserve to pass from those speeds.
On a lonely stretch of West Texas highway we found out there is no max velocity governor - we simply started running out of steam at an indicated 145... :flamingdevil: - and the truck remained completely composed all the way through the experiment :)

Stopping from any speed is never a problem - emergency maneuvers are never scary events. You just drive like you are in a large performance sedan and everything should be fine.

I do wash the truck every week so the black paint has survived well. The Katskinz have also worn well with basic leather seat care.

A couple times I wished the truck was the 4x4 PPV as once or twice we have been on wet grass fields and muddy county roads and the RWD coupled with the GY speed rated tires has proved pretty much useless to get going.

The 3.08 gearing has never been an issue due to the aggressive shifting program GM has provided.

We may treat ourselves to a Maggie supercharger at some time in the future - but the 100,000 factory drive train warranty is hard to ignore.

Another option that has been contemplated is a 6.2l transplant.

But I guess these are 1st world problems and we enjoy the truck as it is.

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice build. i to want a canyon carver ;)

i can recommend a magnacharger tvs1900 supercharger ;) i am @ 403/400 @ tires w/ Corsa catback.
(more mods in near future.)

others recommend the tvs2300 or whipple 2.9, but i hear they can be a bit of overkill.
i suppose it all depends on what your HP goals will be.

however a 6.2 transplant w/ a supercharger will provide some serious motivation. there is a suburban up here that swapped in a 6.2... it had a whipple, but now owner is looking @ turbos.

are you planning on lowering any? if so talk to Tony (Norcal SS). i got his rear leveling kit & am very happy w/ it.

not sure if your ride has different sway bars from LTZ/MRC/tow pkg.
i can recommend hotchkis kit (1.5"/1.25").
there is also hellwig (1.5"/1.25") & DJM (1.5"/1.1875")

sounds like you are happy w/ your brakes. the StopTech Trophy Sport Big Brake Kit is pretty fun, if you ever look to upgrade.

now if i could get approval to race on TxMSR track. i know it handles well. i have done parade/pace laps....one day. any of the tracks down by you allow SUVs/trucks? (*if they are modified)

if you ever get up to DFW, hit me up. i'll do same if i ever get down to Htown.

OP
OP
RC45

RC45

Reaction score
Thanks - the Maggie option is always tempting hehe :)

I know the local SCCA chapter allows the PPV at cone carver Autocross events. Never asked MSR if they would let the PPV on the road course.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The disco light syndrome was discussed in the "Interior Section" IIR and I believe there is a fix. Truck looks awesome.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The disco light syndrome was discussed in the "Interior Section" IIR and I believe there is a fix. Truck looks awesome.

Yes, the 2 front modules need to be replaced. Basically its the 2 front lights and there is a small board attached to them. Takes about 10 minutes to replace them.

OP
OP
RC45

RC45

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, I just haven't bothered pursuing the solution for the disco lights. Its only the rear (center) lights that occasionally flash when I press the brake pedal and most of my night driving is on the freeway with only me in the truck.

I need to get it done, and I need to get around to installing the power fold mirrors as well.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fronts never did it, just the second and third row lights. After a while the left turn signal would flash them as well, fun stuff.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 2 years later but at least the thread has a proper home and I am wondering if some folks may be missing out on some of the nicest features of the 2015+ PPV - it is a high performance sports truck with a 100,000 mile warranty :). So I am re-posting my original thread from the GM forums.

Our 'Update the PPV' project is underway.

As delivered:

CV2bJv.jpg

That house in the background looks VERY similar to my aunt's house in Pasadena. I guess a lot of those subdivisions were built the same. They live off of Fairmont, close to Space Center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins