Child Car Seat Frustration in ‘17 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have twin 2 yo and a 5 year old so I feel you pain. I did the car seat dance with my yukon xl. Would definitely recommend getting a different car seat. Britax are huge and we got a lot more room once we got rid of them. Do some research online to find small footprint car seats and remember the rear facing drama doesn’t last for much long.
I had twin boys with a brother who was almost 4 years older. Bought twin Volvo wagons so that we could get three seats across and carry all their stuff.

josh336

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Installed the Diono seat tonight and swapped sides. Much better. The picture is with the driver’s seat set for myself. I can see we’ll be investing in another Diono in a few months when we move out of the carrier. Thanks again for the help!

View attachment 199997 View attachment 199998
Link to this Dione seat you got. I'm in the same boat. We have a jeep commander as our family ride. 2yo sits behind me and the 3month old behind passenger seat. Pretty uncomfortable to drive pressed up against the wheel. Especially for longer trips.

OP
OP
M

Mothnuts

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Brought home a new ‘18 Expedition to compare to the Tahoe. It’s been an interesting evening comparing them. The Expedition easily wins the 2nd row space with car seats. I didn’t want to mess with moving the Dione out of the Tahoe so I grabbed one of the Britax’s we replaced. The wife is going to drive the Expedition tomorrow doing her normal routine and see what she thinks before I take it back Friday.

FEADCD67-043B-45B5-858B-B2C25E502D53.jpeg B7A86094-9EE3-46BB-BBAF-F3CAE2A0216E.jpeg

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Keyfit 30 base, it seems like it would fit the same in the Ford as it does in the Chevy with regards to space. The rear facing seats are always such a PITA with regards to the space they take up...can't wait until my second kiddo is out of one!

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brought home a new ‘18 Expedition to compare to the Tahoe. It’s been an interesting evening comparing them. The Expedition easily wins the 2nd row space with car seats. I didn’t want to mess with moving the Dione out of the Tahoe so I grabbed one of the Britax’s we replaced. The wife is going to drive the Expedition tomorrow doing her normal routine and see what she thinks before I take it back Friday.

View attachment 201041 View attachment 201042

You thinking about buying an Expedition?

OP
OP
M

Mothnuts

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at the Keyfit 30 base, it seems like it would fit the same in the Ford as it does in the Chevy with regards to space. The rear facing seats are always such a PITA with regards to the space they take up...can't wait until my second kiddo is out of one!

Yes, with the car seat in the Keyfit 30 base there was only an inch or so difference between the Ford and Chevy. The angle of the Ford seat base makes you put an insert under the base to get it level, and once you do that it eats up a lot of space. There is was about a 4” difference with other seat, so it has a bigger advantage to the Ford.

OP
OP
M

Mothnuts

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You thinking about buying an Expedition?

I doubt it, but it is a thought. I needed to get a few things done to my pickup and needed a loaner, so I asked about trying an Expedition to compare to the Tahoe. I spent an hour or so last night driving and comparing, and they both have their strong points. Every time my wife came out to the garage she kept saying the Tahoe is just prettier, and she’s right. From the sides they look similar, but I prefer the front of the Tahoe. The interior is very impressive in the Expedition, but they don’t offer an ideal interior color. It’s either black or camel, and the camel is really light and is paired with black carpet and dash. I don’t care for it. The Expedition has 22” and the Tahoe has 20” wheels, and I’d say the ride is very similar. The DVD player seems easier to operate with the Tahoe, but haven’t played with it much yet. The adaptive cruise is 10 times better then the Tahoe and the 360 camera is nice. I don’t know, it’s interesting to compare, but we’ll see what we end up doing if anything. The Tahoe seems more natural to us as we are GM people, but I did jump ship on GMC pickups in 2016 after 17 new ones in a row and am now on my second Ford. I do like the Ford’s, but there is always that comfort level with the GM’s. The Expedition lists for $80ish and sells for $70k and a new Denali lists for $76ish and sells for $65k. I’d like to trade for one or the other. The Denali would not have the adaptive cruise. It’s not really fair to compare a new platform with a almost 5 year old platform. We could wait for the new GM version, but probably a year and a half from that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts