Chevy Dealership for scheduled maintenance...on modified Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16blkltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my 2013 Tahoe (used to have...but traded in for 2016 Tahoe), I've always taken it to my dealership to have scheduled maintenance performed. Now, with my modified 2016 Tahoe (2/4 drop, diablo custom tuned, AFE CAI, Hellwig rear sway-bar, 24 inch wheels), should I bring this Hoe to the dealership? Or bring it to my local auto repair shop? Or just do it myself?

If I ever decide to sell/trade this Hoe in the future, I'd like to increase my chances of a good deal and I've been told that most people like to hear, "Dealership performed all scheduled maintenance".

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIY.

I don't care about dealer performed maint. as much as I can tell if the vehicle was taken care of. I feel I take more care when I do my own services than a dealer would do as it is MY ride. When / if I sell, the buyer has never been disappointed because I DIY, they can appreciate the work I have put into it and the care / how well the vehicle looks.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only "performance" mods are a Diablo tune, Corsa exhaust, and CAI but I take it to my dealership for the scheduled oil changes, maintenance, and any recall work. So far no one has said a thing about any of the mods. I do remove the Diablo tune if it goes in for anything more than an oil change though.

hundhaus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that having an aftermarket flash/tune I would be denied warranty if I had any engine failure. Other than that my Denali XL has Corsa exhaust, K&N cai and a full Callaway suspension and I have had no issues to date with dealer on anything.

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend DIY. You have a maintenance book with your vehicle. Just take the few minutes to document Date, Mileage, Type of Oil, Filters, etc that you have done for the day. Just a few minutes of time and you can show the care you have performed. This is still much quicker then taking to dealership and having them pinpoint 7 more things you need to do while you are there.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on your comfort level with the dealer vs an independent shop vs your willingness & ability to DIY.

I have been pleasantly surprised with my local Chevy dealer's care and competitive rates, so when there's something that I cannot do I don't hesitate to go there.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
It really depends on your comfort level with the dealer vs an independent shop vs your willingness & ability to DIY.

I have been pleasantly surprised with my local Chevy dealer's care and competitive rates, so when there's something that I cannot do I don't hesitate to go there.

I agree with ubervic, if you don't trust the place, dealer or independent don't go there period! My local chevy dealer has been pretty good to me over the last 20 years. But when you trade in or buy used car they don't mention service records, the salesman is clueless, he just want's to sell a car. Now having worked at Mercedes / Volvo dealer, the first thing the salesman asks for is the service book, it does affect the value a bit.

OP
OP
16blkltz

16blkltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with the DIY comments. I, myself, am a "hands-on" kinda guy...and am not afraid to get my hands dirty...but just like other comments about trusting your dealership (service advisor) and competitive prices...which is the reason I'm fine with bringing it to them.

So for the guys that DIY...what kind of oil to you put (synthetic?)..and where do you dispose?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I prefer to do the work myself. But I work on cars for a living. Only time I go to the dealer was only for warranty work, which is over so I don't go any more

Tacky

Reaction score
My only "performance" mods are a Diablo tune, Corsa exhaust, and CAI but I take it to my dealership for the scheduled oil changes, maintenance, and any recall work. So far no one has said a thing about any of the mods. I do remove the Diablo tune if it goes in for anything more than an oil change though.

Removing the tune when you take it to the dealer is a waste of time. If you ever have an engine or driveline failure that you try to get warranty on, GM will review the programming history and detect that the cal has been installed and removed multiple times. you cannot hide it. At that point the brand quality manager will decide if the ccal will void your warranty.