Check brake system message?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe z71 with 164k on it. I bought it in December from California so the lines are not rusted.

I had front brake pads and rotors installed about a month ago.

Just the other day while driving on the freeway the check brake system message appeared ok the dash and with about 30 or so dings along with the abs and brake icon illuminating. I parked the truck and started it back up and the message and icons still appeared.

I pulled the negative cable off the batteryto reset it. Drive it for 2 days with no issue and then today when pulling up to my house after driving it 60 miles on the day the message with icons and dings happened again. I parked it and then when I got back in a couple hours later and started it up to leave there was nothing. It was back to normal.

Brake fluid is fine

Truck brakes fine and brakes feel very good. They don't pulsate and the pedal doesn't go to the floor.

Only thing I can think of is I had a wheelbearing done on the passenger side about a month ago at the same time I had brake and rotors done. Maybe they didn't plug the abs plug in correctly? It was a moog part but if this was the case it probably wouldn't take a month to show a symptom in guessing. Does the abs plug come disconnected easily?

Any ideas? Can any codes be pulled if the message and icons are not illuminated?

Is this usually serious or would I kind of know it?

+ QuoteReply

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This problem seams to be very intermittent for me. When I got in the truck today to go to work it didn't come on until 2/3 of the way to work on the freeway

Then when I got in it to leave work the lights were off and it came on 5 minutes away from home out of a 30 minute drive.

Called Autozone and they said they don't scan for those codes but the guy suggested bleeding the brakes. Said their might be air in the lines.

Any other ideas?

zdude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Michigan, did you ever get any resolution to this issue? Curious what you found. Thanks in advance.

I've got a 2003 Yukon SLT 2WD and started having the same issue about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I bought this Yukon brand new, and it is high mileage; 213k. It is very random, but seems to occur more often when it is raining or at least very wet roads. I'm suspecting one of the 4 ABS sensor wires being chaffed.

I replaced the front passenger wheel bearing hub assy about a year ago, so I'll start at that ABS sensor and go around the four corners to check each one.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These symptoms are directly related with a wheel speed sensor failing or a wheel bearing worn to the point that it's causing clearance issues between the wheel speed sensor and tone ring.

Unless you have your own, take your vehicle to a local auto part store (hopefully the employee is half intelligent enough use the obd scan tool efficiently) have them scan the abs system. They SHOULD be able to tell you which wheel is causing your concern. Unplug the corresponding sensor check for resistance. If OL (outta luck) replace sensor. If it's good check the hub bearing for excessive end play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts