Ceramic Coating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EzSkAnKeN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of you get this done to your rides? I'm really leaning towards getting the service done. It'd make each drive out of the touchless wash even better ha ha!

I'm reading upwards of 3-4 years duration, even 5 before reapplication is needed. Asked a couple local guys who do it for a quote so waiting back to see what'll it cost. Guess there's in inside coating as well, but price will determine that. Exterior is my main concern for now.

Just looking for more insight on it.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start by doing a Google search for any customer reviews. Hopefully someone has had it done and can comment.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of you get this done to your rides? I'm really leaning towards getting the service done. It'd make each drive out of the touchless wash even better ha ha!

I'm reading upwards of 3-4 years duration, even 5 before reapplication is needed. Asked a couple local guys who do it for a quote so waiting back to see what'll it cost. Guess there's in inside coating as well, but price will determine that. Exterior is my main concern for now.

Just looking for more insight on it.

Which coating? I do one 2x a year instead of wax. Costs me $400 each time.

Touchless use incredibly powerful chemicals that eat up even the best quartz coatings.

OP
OP
EzSkAnKeN

EzSkAnKeN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which coating? I do one 2x a year instead of wax. Costs me $400 each time.

Touchless use incredibly powerful chemicals that eat up even the best quartz coatings.

One states it uses nano protective coating, and the other just says ceramic coating.

$400 isn't bad considering the size of our rides. The guy that just says ceramic coating says he would need to go through and do a thorough polishing job before any coating is applied. I'm guessing it's the same with the other.

What coating do you get?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One states it uses nano protective coating, and the other just says ceramic coating.

$400 isn't bad considering the size of our rides. The guy that just says ceramic coating says he would need to go through and do a thorough polishing job before any coating is applied. I'm guessing it's the same with the other.

What coating do you get?

I'll have to check on the coating. I opted not to do the CQuartz since the wanted $800 For that. I get it detailed 2x a year (spring/late fall) so I don't need something that expensive...not to mention I don't really believe the claims the companies make about how long they protect for...especially since I'll run it through a touchless once a month or so when I can't hand wash.

For $400 they include: handwash, engine bay, wheel wells, wheels and tires, clay bar, one step polishing and topped off with a 6-8 month sealant.

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use any kind of automatic wash, you want to stay away from ceramics

16blkltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check on the coating. I opted not to do the CQuartz since the wanted $800 For that. I get it detailed 2x a year (spring/late fall) so I don't need something that expensive...not to mention I don't really believe the claims the companies make about how long they protect for...especially since I'll run it through a touchless once a month or so when I can't hand wash.

For $400 they include: handwash, engine bay, wheel wells, wheels and tires, clay bar, one step polishing and topped off with a 6-8 month sealant.

$800 per year. That's fairly close to a quote I received from a shop here in the Houston area where they quoted me $895 for ceramic pro with 5 year warranty. I'm not sure I can justify that cost...and besides, I'm a "hands-on" kind of person and would love to do this myself. Just not sure I have the time and patience for it. :imo:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$800 per year. That's fairly close to a quote I received from a shop here in the Houston area where they quoted me $895 for ceramic pro with 5 year warranty. I'm not sure I can justify that cost...and besides, I'm a "hands-on" kind of person and would love to do this myself. Just not sure I have the time and patience for it. :imo:

Ask him to show you an independent report that indicates the coating will stay intact and providing protection for even a single year.

I call BS on coatings lasting much longer than a good wax. Especially if you even subject it to a touchless (or god forbid a 'full touch') wash.

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask him to show you an independent report that indicates the coating will stay intact and providing protection for even a single year.

I call BS on coatings lasting much longer than a good wax. Especially if you even subject it to a touchless (or god forbid a 'full touch') wash.

Not all are created equally

I have Opticoat Pro (the one applied by an authorized dealer, not the stuff you can buy) applied with a 5 year warranty - vehicle hit automatic washes 80% of the time, water still beaded strong into year 3 by year 4 you could see it was time to renew.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all are created equally

I have Opticoat Pro (the one applied by an authorized dealer, not the stuff you can buy) applied with a 5 year warranty - vehicle hit automatic washes 80% of the time, water still beaded strong into year 3 by year 4 you could see it was time to renew.

Touchless washes add a chemical to make water bead so that there aren't water stains left behind. All of the ceramics etc I've read about advise you that anything but hand washing (in a very specific way) will void their 'warranty'.

I don't doubt they work to one degree or another but I mostly wouldn't do it because after a harsh winter/summer I like to have my vehicles detailed, clay'd and scratches polished out. I get my car coated but it's a '1 year' coat. After 3-6 months the lower panels are rough with road debris, tar, sap etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu