Center console sub specs??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
There's definitely an aftermarket option and I have it in my Duramax. It's badass and I would do it again except for the cost. With my Tahoe I just powered the sub separately and gave it a better source and it's DRAMATICALLY better than stock and handles power extremely well (I tried to blow an extra one of these with 1500w RMS and failed).

Here's my Tahoe thread, the mods are on page 1.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/megan-the-tahoe.90282/

Here's my Duramax build thread, the sub replacement starts at post 82 I think.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/build-threads/497890-project-stormtrooper.html

Spoolin

Reaction score
When I worked in the car audio industry, I would salvaged a couple of the oem center console subs and used them in my RX-7's as some lightweight, small footprint yet surprisingly impressive output with around 75-100 watts on it. It's a dual 2 ohm Bose woofer and I would use some of the 3M t taps and put one on each of the 4 wires on the enclosure. Get a 9v battery and pop the wires until you find a pair and notice excursion for polarity. Series the two coils With a jumper wire and use the others as your 4ohm input from a small bridged amp. Rock on, yo.

OP
OP
OB 04Denali

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
There's definitely an aftermarket option and I have it in my Duramax. It's badass and I would do it again except for the cost. With my Tahoe I just powered the sub separately and gave it a better source and it's DRAMATICALLY better than stock and handles power extremely well (I tried to blow an extra one of these with 1500w RMS and failed).

Here's my Tahoe thread, the mods are on page 1.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/megan-the-tahoe.90282/

Here's my Duramax build thread, the sub replacement starts at post 82 I think.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/build-threads/497890-project-stormtrooper.html

Chris,
When i outfit my yukon, im powering everything with a
Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X5, your telling me that if i wire that center console sub up with about 150W RMS, that it can handle it when hooked up properly with no problem? also any idea how many ohms that sub is?

Dan OB

Last edited:

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
Chris,
When i outfit my yukon, im powering everything with a
Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X5, your telling me that if i wire that center console sub up with about 150W RMS, that it can handle it when hooked up properly with no problem? also any idea how many ohms that sub is?

Dan OB
It will definitely handle the power, I tried to blow it using an old Kicker ZX1500.1 and it wouldn't blow after more than 20 minutes. I believe it's a dual 2 ohm but I could be wrong. You can take a look in that Duramax build thread and see how I wired it up in my friends' truck still using the stock Bose system. In my Tahoe I replaced the head unit so I didn't have to tap the rear speakers for a source.

OP
OP
OB 04Denali

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
It will definitely handle the power, I tried to blow it using an old Kicker ZX1500.1 and it wouldn't blow after more than 20 minutes. I believe it's a dual 2 ohm but I could be wrong. You can take a look in that Duramax build thread and see how I wired it up in my friends' truck still using the stock Bose system. In my Tahoe I replaced the head unit so I didn't have to tap the rear speakers for a source.

Thanks a lot buddie. That helped a ton and Def had a positive impact on what I'm doing.

Thanks a lot!!

OP
OP
OB 04Denali

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
View attachment 178178 I was looking to do the same thing with the console sub. I ended up with an Alpine hu, upgraded door speakers, kept Bose amp for those. Kept original sub but added a powered Alpine sub under the rear seat and couldn't be happier.

intresting.... have to do some measurements to see if they fit under since i have captians chairs

OP
OP
OB 04Denali

OB 04Denali

Reaction score
If i say screw it which i prally will and get a small mono amp for the center sub, how much do you guys think i can comfortably throw at it? Most likly goin to be a rockford amp. not crazy just a little more something since im replacing all the stock equipment anyway. oh yea driver side door speaker just took a dump the other day.

Thanks

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bose Lux Amp mod might be an option for you. It woke up my factory Bose system. Not gonna blow your windows out, but definitely an improvement over the Bose amp in there now.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Yes what mcaChris said. All the companies out there make a 6.5" sub , which is what's in the center console. I would buy an aftermarket one and toss the original paper bose.

But, on a side note I had a 8" bose from an 02 that I hooked up to about 150w alpine amp and it did sound impressive for its age and design. So I 100% believe gtrchris when he says the 6.5 sounded good.

The 8" I had, before I got the kicker.
20160813_173741.jpg