CCM 2.5" Leveling Kit and Tires Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAINE SUBURBAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just coming to the forum here and looking to make a good decision for my first mods as I can never leave my vehicles alone. I have a 2008 Chevy Suburban LT 4WD that is in desperate need of a lift. I am not going as big as I would like since my wife will end up the vehicle next year. Here is what I want to do:
-CCM 2.5" Leveling Lift Kit
-Toyo Open Country AT 2 285/70R17 (32.8")
-Stock 17" rims
-Spacers if needed
I don't want to deal with a bunch of major cutting and trimming if it can be avoided, but want a set-up that looks rugged and a step up from stock appearance. So here are my questions:
-Will the above approach work without any rubbing?
-Is it possible to step up to the 285/75R17 (33.9")?
-Will I need spacers?
I appreciate any and all help that is out there to guide me down the right road.

I posted this in the Suburban section and was not getting any responses. Hopefully some of the Tahoe and Yukon owners can offer me some guidance.

02Burgundybeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the 2.25" rough country ready lift w/out any rear lift. This was on my 07 Denali. I ran 33x12.50s Toyo MT's and 285/55r22s. I did have to do some trimming with the 285s but I never took it off road so I didn't have to worry about it flexing much. The 285/75s you are planning on running will require some trimming on the front plastics but you wont need much. Don't run wheel spacers or it will scrub more.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet it will work with some plastic trimming, maybe none. Each truck is a little different. Most 285/70/17 are just below 33" tall and a around 11" wide. That's about a half inch shorter and over an inch narrower than mine. The trimming I did to the front of the front wheel well was necessitated by the width of my tire, not so much the height.

I would think the set up you described would work fine without spacers. Add spacers and you'll run a better chance of rubbing. Spacers increase the sweeping arc of the tire from lock to lock thus moving it closer to the front and rear of your fender wells. Moving up to the 285/75 could work but would require more trimming, obviously. You might need a taller kit also, just FYI.

Also, just to note that all the rubbing I still have is because of the tires' width, not height (Front sway bar and rear wheel liner).

OP
OP
M

MAINE SUBURBAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate the words of advice. I was only going to run the spacers if I stayed with the OEM 17" rims as the stance is rather narrow in stock form.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, and i love them, Hercules Terra-Trac ATII p285/70/17 they look beefier than any of the stock b.s. and they were great in the snow (i also have a plow on this truck) they are quiet and feel pretty damn good to be honest. I have about 15-20k (maybe more maybe less dont remem) on them and they still look new...ive been running them between 36-39 psi ( makes them feel stiffer to me) and there is no excessive wear and with the 2" rough country level i have no rub at all. Well, i took off the mud guards i put on because they were grabbing the corner of the flap in reverse at full lock. I could have trimmed the guard but i like it without, makes them look wider and even beefier. I might hear shit that they aren't a good tire but I don't give a f... they were cheap (about $750 mounted and balanced) and do what i need them to do. I just got back from Florida, literally like and hour ago, to NY, and it was pouring last night...drove 24 hrs straight and was doing 75-80-85 through rain with my small 5x8 open trailer and no probs. My 2 cents...

DHartman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 4X4 with the 2.5 CCM Spacer up front and a 1" in the back... pretty level. I run 305/55/20 Nitto MT's, it took quite a bit of cutting to get them to not rub. Looks great though.

davidl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a 2.5" CCM kit and big k02 285/70/17.. minor plastic trimming needed