CB and CB antenna installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So today my CB stuff came in, CB radio, CB antenna and coax with NMO mount.

This is what I got:
https://www.uniden.com/automotive/c...nel_SSB_CB_Radio_with_7-Color_Digital_Display

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/pctel-maxrad-mlb2700-706.html

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/comet-ck-3nmo-4368.html

So I planning on putting the CB under the dash, next to the steering column and where the dash/radio is (don't really know where else to put it. (The CB radio is a bit bigger than I realized, but oh well).

The antenna I want to put on the existing rear antenna hole, it's approx in the middle between the C-pillars, and I probably want to route the cable down that pillar and from there forward to the driver side dashboard. I figured that I can use the power from "that cable" that I fished out from underneath he carpeting (unless that's not enough). Before I want to start opening up holes, I better double check the antenna hole is the same size as the standard NMO mount.

Any tips, hints? (or suggestions where else to put the CB radio? (I was briefly thinking about putting it in the center console storage, on the driver side under the lid. (but heat?)

Ron

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year Tahoe? I ask, because later years have a knee bolster airbag under the steering wheel. You'll want to verify you don't have this before installing the radio there.

The radio should have a pretty good operating temperature range, since they're installed in vehicles subject to summer heat. I doubt the console is that air tight. It might get warm there, but I would doubt it would be too hot.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year Tahoe? I ask, because later years have a knee bolster airbag under the steering wheel. You'll want to verify you don't have this before installing the radio there.

The radio should have a pretty good operating temperature range, since they're installed in vehicles subject to summer heat. I doubt the console is that air tight. It might get warm there, but I would doubt it would be too hot.

oops, it is a 2013 SSV, I doubt there is an airbag there. The 'cladding' feels like that hard plastic stuff the door panels and dash are made out of too. I prefer to have it under the dash, and it looks like I have enough leg room there. But next to it to the front of the center console I also installed a holster. So it is a bit of a tight fir. I didn't see any SSB equipped CB radios, that were not full size. I have a small (half the size) Uniden in my Jeep CJ, but that one does not have any SSB.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking radio. As far as the hole, if I remember correctly, CB coax will require a 3/4" hole for the mounting threads to pass through.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking radio. As far as the hole, if I remember correctly, CB coax will require a 3/4" hole for the mounting threads to pass through.

I took a look at the mount when it arrived, it looks like 3/4" and the hole looks like 3/4" but better double check before I pull the plug out.

The hole in the roof is near the rear, 3rd, dome light. I guess if I just take the driver side C-pillar off, I can route the coax through there, and from there under the trim at the edge of teh carpet (under the doors) work my way to the front. I don't think (hope) I don't have to pull too much of the ceiling down, but doesn't look like it.

I think I like the radio too, it has good reviews, and the SSB thing might be interesting. I was surprised it was 'that' big, it feels light, as in, lots of empty space in it.
(I have another Uniden, regular, CB. Always served me well, but it's 20 yo, and is mounted in a ******* CJ5.

Ron

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SSB is a different animal. It basically is jumping into Ham frequencies. I used to have a unit that had SSB and if you have the right conditions you can reach out pretty far. If you have any friends that have SSB also, it is a way to get clear air to converse if you find yourself in noisy/busy conditions in the regular channels. If there is a good truckstop near you, you can probably find a CB shop that will "tune" that radio if it is possible with today's radios. I know that they can do wonders with older styles. When I had mine, I bought some "fire in the wire" and I could reach coast to coast on a Realistic brand CB with SSB, a Wilson 1000 antenna and the "magic box".

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SSB is a different animal. It basically is jumping into Ham frequencies. I used to have a unit that had SSB and if you have the right conditions you can reach out pretty far. If you have any friends that have SSB also, it is a way to get clear air to converse if you find yourself in noisy/busy conditions in the regular channels. If there is a good truckstop near you, you can probably find a CB shop that will "tune" that radio if it is possible with today's radios. I know that they can do wonders with older styles. When I had mine, I bought some "fire in the wire" and I could reach coast to coast on a Realistic brand CB with SSB, a Wilson 1000 antenna and the "magic box".

No truck stops here.. or anything like that, we're a little remote, but in a week or so I'll be travelling to Dallas, TX (from Los Alamos, NM) so I might run into one on the way. That is if I get everything installed by then.