Catching the last Snow of the Season, our first road trip.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last Friday, we decided a road trip up to Flagstaff was in order, as it would be one of the last time this season we could see and play with some snow before moving into the spring/summer/100something here in Phoenix.
This would be the first trip for our suburban, and the first time we took something else than a minivan to take our family of 5 plus luggage and mandatory (endless) baby/young kids gear.
For anyone not familiar with I-17 going from Phoenix to Flagstaff, it's basically 2 and a half hour of going up in elevation, speed limit of 75, lots of weekend warrior traffic and semis.
We left with the rear cargo full to the roof, 2 kids in the third row, baby in the second, parents drinking overpriced coffee, chilling in the front.

We (and by that I mean I) decided the best way to deal with traffic was actually to stay in the right lane and relax. This meant cruise control set at 64mph. While such speed is contrary to my usual morning commutes habits, it meant the six gear was hanging out at barely 1,500rpm, fuel economy would have a chance to impress, and most importantly zero issue with traffic and lane changes.

I was really curious to see how the v8, the transmission, and the cruise control would handle the extended 6% downhill. Well....Pretty much perfectly. cruise control downshifted one then 2 gear, never exceeded 75-78, I didnt even have to touch the brakes or make use of the manual mode to lock a certain gear.

Mileage was decent at 20mpg but I knew it would greatly improve on the way back, when we would be dealing with mostly downhill the whole time.

I know a lot of people including me are thinking about different wheels, tires, exhaust,etc... but in stock form it made for the quietest ride we ever experienced.
Comparing to our previous minivan, it feels like a good 4 to 5 decibels quieter.
I experienced no buffeting, vibration or harshness as so many people are dealing with.
I did feel a tiny bit of vibration/noise when lugging in v4 mode really low in the 1000 to 1200rpm range, but once passed those rpm, v4 mode was only known due to the icon.

The stock and somewhat tired tires did really good, I am still debating what to get next and probably wil go oem 20inch with michelin to replace our 18" stock wheels, in an effort to keep some ride cushion and not kill the MPG (A/T tires I'm looking at you!)

For reference, our suburban is a 2015 LT with 45k, we got it 3 months ago. All Stock except from the Tahoe PPV front deflector.

Returning back home, MPG kept going up, and we ended up at 24mpg on the computer, I am sure its a little optimistic compared to hand calculated. This was with 87 Octane.
Don't know if we would have even better with stock snow shovel, I mean stock front deflector, but I have to say I didnt think such a big truck could get that kind of MPG.

All in all, I hope we will have many years of similar ownership experience.
these 2 pictures show my favorite feature of the suburban, the extended length space!

Now, lets go shopping for them new wheels/tires!

IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0761.JPG

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. Glad to hear your Suburban performed so well.

I'm purchasing either that or a Tahoe this year and am also looking at changing out factory tires, although I don't want to destroy the ride quality so I won't go overly aggressive.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parents still live in Prescott and have done that drive many times. Glad to hear the family hauler provided the results and comfort you were looking for. My 2013 does the trick the same way, even though it is all flat down here.

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Suburban definitely worked out well for you on your trip..Wish I could have snow here right now in the Miami-Dade Broward County area.

My Tahoe came with 20 inch Continental tires..I think the 20 inch just looks better then the 18 inch..Just IMHO..Rides great and gets 24 mpg highway..When I eventually replace them I will change over to 20 inch Michelin tires.

Very nice looking Suburban!!!!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my fill of snow haha. I got more than plenty up in the mountains where I live. I'm definetly looking forward to summer and my truck staying clean with dry cinder free roads. :D my ski town is pretty similar to Prescott although a bit higher in elevation I think. Always good to hear the new rigs performing well.

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parents still live in Prescott and have done that drive many times. Glad to hear the family hauler provided the results and comfort you were looking for. My 2013 does the trick the same way, even thought it is all flat down here.
Your Suburban definitely worked out well for you on your trip..Wish I could have snow here right now in the Miami-Dade Broward County area.

My Tahoe came with 20 inch Continental tires..I think the 20 inch just looks better then the 18 inch..Just IMHO..Rides great and gets 24 mpg highway..When I eventually replace them I will change over to 20 inch Michelin tires.

Very nice looking Suburban!!!!

Thank you!
I am going to get the 2015 oem 20" wheels, they are so easy to find on craigslist, tons of take off.
I am also going to lower the rear to make it level, as I do not have any towing needs.

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice looking ride. Glad you enjoyed the trip. I loved the 'snow shovel" comment. So true. I need to replace mine. I averaged 20.3 on my trip this past week. A few steep climbs in Southern Oregon and some snow driving as well.

Was pretty amazing by Crater lake when the snow was nearly twice the height of my truck along the road way

upload_2017-4-3_11-56-45.png

OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice looking ride. Glad you enjoyed the trip. I loved the 'snow shovel" comment. So true. I need to replace mine. I averaged 20.3 on my trip this past week. A few steep climbs in Southern Oregon and some snow driving as well.

Was pretty amazing by Crater lake when the snow was nearly twice the height of my truck along the road way

View attachment 78470
Nice Picture, great to see these truck in action! extra point for summit white!
Just in Case you want the PPV deflector, here is the best price I found it for:

https://www.iamgmparts.com/oem-parts/gm-deflector-23365760

CJJOHN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We ended up with a Suburban for a rental 2 years ago on vacation, and I was FLOORED with the mileage it got. It convinced us to buy a Yukon! Great wrote up, thanks for sharing.

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Picture, great to see these truck in action! extra point for summit white!

Thanks for the part number. I will be checking that out for sure. Thought about checking to see if any local PPV Tahoes have been totalled and this piece salvaged :)

also, I hope i don't lose the point, but its actually the iridescent pearl, not summit white. I was happy with white, but wifey said she loved the pearl.

this is a better (color) photo

upload_2017-4-6_15-8-3.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz