catalytic converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh760

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi my name is Joshua I have an 04 yukon xl I live in California, well my catalytic converter needs to be replaced. Im looking to see if there is a reliable and cheap site that has CARB legal cats the shop in my town says its a dealer item only and it will probably cost $800 I'm hoping i can find one cheaper and maybe aftermarket. Thank you for your help! also its a 1500 with the 5.3 and has two converters

SteveCZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this looks like it will be a tough find. all i can find are cats that arent legal for calif.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Since you live in comufornia its gonna be hard. Believe magnaflow has a carb legal cat but not sure

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow cats are only 49 state and Canada legal. I wish Cali would just go away. Or maybe it's ridiculous emission laws anyhow.

melmikulak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Catalytic change + oxygen sensor

HI Josh -

I'd be interested in knowing if you found anything new out on your cat change.

I've got a 2002 Yukon XL (in California) that I'm trying to sell, and have to have it smogged before selling (state law). Factory installed system runs $2400-2700. Ouch. My alternate route involved having the cats on teh right bank cut out and the pieces replaced:

- Cat #1 changed first. Service light came back on.
- Cat #2 changed... service light back on.
- Now the service light is back on and says the oxygen sensor on the right needs to be replaced... another $350. (Compared to the factory replacement for the whole cat system at $2700, I guess this is better.) But there's no guarantee that the oxygen sensors will do the trick either.

How hard is it to change the oxygen sensor? The part seems relatively inexpensive, but I'm no mechanic.

OP
OP
J

josh760

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up going to an exhaust place in town and replaced all of them and he charged 1300

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9