Can't start in the cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Voltage is 14.6 when running. There is a ground wire to the chassis at the cross member just in front of the tank. We may try soldering the pigtail instead of the crimp connection.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During this latest episode, was it cranking at normal speed (just missing fuel, air or spark) or was it slow like you'd get with a low battery?

OP
OP
H

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after a week of trying everything but the fuel pump, I finally gave in and replaced the fuel pump (it was only a month old). This time I soldered the connections instead of crimping. 60 PSI with key turned on, engine off. This is the fourth replacement of the fuel pump in two years, three of those since the end of June. I'm wondering if the connection had anything to do with the failures. I soldered in test wires this time so I can check the voltage at the tank without having to drop the tank. Hopefully I won't have to go through this again but I'm not going to hold my breath!

OP
OP
H

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is running! Sorry I wasn't clear. Really like your Red Tahoe. Had a red over charcoal 99 Suburban.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 10 years ago, I had my fuel pump replaced by a shop. Not long after, I would randomly get a not start condition (motor would turn over strong, but no start). I took the truck back to the shop that did my fuel pump. The mechanic reached up over the tank and jiggled the connector to the fuel pump. Started working ok...for a while. Eventually the random no start condition returned. I could get it going by laying under the tank and reaching up and jiggling the connector to the fuel pump. I put up with this crap for a while till I got fed up, dropped the tank and replaced the damn connector (wiring harness side). Problem solved. I changed my fuel pump since then (proactively, because the damn thing was so noisy and it was 10 years old). This time I made sure to buy the AC delco pump that came with a replacement connector for the harness side. No problems since. And the pump is nice and quiet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts