Can't fully get servo out

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by MrBalll, Jan 11, 2017.

1. MrBalll

MrBalll Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    ****Solved initial issue****
    **New issue. I can't get the pin out of the 2nd apply piston. I have taken out the spring, washer and clip, but it will not come out. Seems to just get stuck.**

I have an 04 Tahoe. I've gotten most of the servo assembly out, but I can't get this last bit out. The 2nd apply I believe? It just won't slide out. I know I'm replacing this part, but I'm afraid of messing up the pin or the cover of the transmission somehow. Am I missing something here?
    IMG_5645.JPG
    This is where I'm stuck. It is end to end and no way to slide up or down.

IMG_5646.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5648.JPG
    I already pulled the ring, washer and spring off.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. MrBalll

Name:
    Jason
    Could is possibly be from this tiny lip that overhangs? It seems like if I was able to move it there is a small chance I can squeeze the assembly out. If that is the case can anyone recommend a way to get it out of te way. Would hammer it, but there is no room down there.

IMG_5650.JPG

3. MrBalll

Name:
    Jason
    Fixed it by dropping the rear of the transmission and pushing it a little towards the driver side.
    Should anyone come across this issue that is a way around it.

4. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    Could be. I remember having to wiggle it a bit to get it out, but nothing serious.

You could put a pry bar on that lip and hit the other end of the pry bar with a hammer...

5. MrBalll

Name:
    Jason
    I have a new issue now. Was able to drop the transmission a little to get the assembly all the way out. However now I can't get the pin out of the 2nd apply piston. I have taken out the spring, washer and clip, but it will not come out. Seems to just get stuck. Any ideas why this is happening?

6. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
  7. SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    Grab this part of the heat shield and bend it down a bit. It's pretty soft and will move by hand.

I ran into the same issue you were, tweaking that out of the way gave me just enough clearance to sneak the whole assembly out minus the 4th gear piston, which I pulled off earlier

[​IMG]

8. SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    Reading>me

My pin was a fairly tight fit. I lightly tapped mine out with a plastic face hammer. Similar story going back in too. Make absolutely sure you clean off any little aluminum bits that are sure to dislodge as you do this

9. MrBalll

Name:
    Jason
    Appreciate that info. I was about ready to go to a transmission shop and just ask to swap mine out. I will try and just wrap the top in a rag then hit it was a hammer. Noticed from my initial 'shoving' of the pin through the top that it made some bits around it. So I'm sure there will be quite a bit once I actually hammer it through. But I will try that on Monday.
    Thanks for the suggestion, SnowDrifter.