Canister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has any body replaced the vapor canister? What was the symptoms, and did it solve the problem?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced the valve and purge solenoids and gas cap and still had a code so i thought i canister was clogged and it turned out if wasnt i just had to wait along time for a drive
and symptoms of the evap system is either excess fuel take pressure due to a clog or failed valve solenoid etc so when you remove the gas cap you get alot of hissing more then normal and when your tank isnt fuel youll hear a random bump here and there thats the fuel tank expanding from pressure if there is a leak some where you mite have a fuel smell around the car and if you take it to a shop there gonna use a smoke machine wich finds leaks wich they mite charge you for and maybe a couple hundred for parts and labor i got all the parts from amazon minus the charcoal canister for 80 bucks
a canister usually costs around 150 to 300 but ive found one on amazon for 80 bucks
all the parts i got from amazon were ac delco as well so there oem parts

find out what codes your throwing they would probably be p0440 p0442 p0452 there is a 3 or 4 more that deal with the evap system
i had a p0440 if you have that code its either the gas cap or the vent valve solenoid wich is back somwhere above the rear diff or the big plastic charcoal canister is clogged the canister is the last thing i would replace they can last the life some times when you try to top off yer tank you can get a little fuel into that canister wich ruins it but its unlikly. and if you get a p0449 code thats the purge valve solenoid on top of the intake that can go bad, now the other things that can cuase evap codes is a clogged hose or leak in the evap system. the evap system is kind of a pain in the ass

just make sure you dont just disconnect the battery or clear the codes with the scantool the drive cycle to test the evap system again takes along time several things have to happen the tank has to be betwen 15 and 85 percent full you have to coast from 50 down below 20 mph without touching the breaks or gearing down and there is several other things that need to happen before the system is tested again

if you got a smart phone you can buy one of those elm 327 obd2 testers on amazon for 20 bucks and that gives you the codes and tells when stuff like the evap system has been tested or autozone well pull codes for free

OP
OP
qukon 95

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have no codes on my 95 and after driving I smell a type of gas like it smells
In the canister so I will look more into it to see if there's vacuum or even if the purge valve is working.

OP
OP
qukon 95

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today I went to jnk yrd and got a canister and purge seloniod and so far don't have that gas smell and I seemed to have better throttle and smooth idle.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia