Can you guess what I'm doing this weekend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Damn! I don't envy you! I just had the trans done in my 03 Hoe, and before that I had to get the trans done in my Chevy work van, for a total of $2900! And that was with a hookup. I hope it's as manageable as you think it is. Good luck to you. Sub'd for your progress.

OP
OP
tfd33-tahoe

tfd33-tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good luck, Im interested to see how it turns out for you. The deepest I've got into a trans is the filter. Have you done this before?

Nope, I'm popping my transmission rebuild cherry lol! I've done virtually everything else vehicle wise so I guess it's time to give it a whirl. And thanks, I'm looking forward to tackling this.

OP
OP
tfd33-tahoe

tfd33-tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well then.....

IMG_1644.JPG
The bottom is what the clutch "should" look like

IMG_1645.JPG

Warped piston dam is what screwed it all up. No fluid, lots of heat, bye bye clutch pack.

IMG_1647.JPG

Some of the clutches still had life but all in all it was fubared.

Now to wait for the new piston and piston dam/clip to get here and I'll reassemble it. This seriously was as easy as changing brake pads.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...This seriously was as easy as changing break pads.

We'll revisit this comment in a couple thousand miles. lol

Just kidding. Maybe this sort of thing isn't as daunting as it seems and I look forward to positive updates once it's back on the road. But, I still have to ask: What kind of brake pads are you changing that can be compared to auto trans rebuilding?!

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then.....

View attachment 180405
The bottom is what the clutch "should" look like

View attachment 180406

Warped piston dam is what screwed it all up. No fluid, lots of heat, bye bye clutch pack.

View attachment 180407

Some of the clutches still had life but all in all it was fubared.

Now to wait for the new piston and piston dam/clip to get here and I'll reassemble it. This seriously was as easy as changing break pads.

I wouldn't try rebuilding my own transmission if you paid me $500.

Nice job!

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it looks like a huge undertaking, it is probably just like anything else. As long as you put things where they go, tighten everything to spec, and take your time, it will be alright. Pure speculation on my part, but if it was really that hard, there wouldn't be as many transmission shops open as there are in Houston.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a big deal if the advice above is followed. When I was a kid, I tackled the THM200/250s, THM350s and 200R4s. Had trouble with getting the pumps and converters back in but that was part of the learning curve for a youngster!

I'll be rebuilding two 4T65Es in the next year or so and someday will rebuild the 6L80 in the truck, once someone puts them on my work bench. My days of pulling them out ended long ago!

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Congratulations for trying this. Looks like you have the knowledge to do it. I have wanted to tackle this but can't find the time to do it. I would like to do it start to finish all at once. Other wise it wouldn't go back together! Lol. We will see how it goes. I will watch your progress and hopefully get a bit more confidence from your build !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kns0517