Can I hear my torque convertor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a secondary sound in my Yukon at low speeds, particularly when I have my camper on the back. When I'm accelerating, albeit slowly, I can hear what I can best describe as a fan noise. It builds up slowly and generally goes away just before the transmission changes to the next gear. There's no discernible drop in RPM's and no lurching/clunking/etc. Would the torque converter make audible noises like that?

Also, I take it pretty easy on the truck when accelerating, generally keeping the RPM's down below 3k. Am I helping anything by doing this, or should I not be afraid to give it more go juice?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
noise timing does not coincide with tq as you describe it. your fan clutch just might be tightening and loosening to keep control of the coolant temperature. especially when hauling a load. does it maybe sound like that. it won't cause kicking or lurching effects or rpm really as it is not an instant on/off clutch like the freon compressor. this event i describe is very likely even more when you start from a cold engine and push the rpms high. that fan clutch takes a wee bit of time to loosen its grip on the drive system and you will hear a loud howling noise if you push the rpms really high say 4k.

OP
OP
B

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds about right. I had wondered if there was a clutch for the fan but I didn't think so.

How about my question about acceleration? Am I helping things last longer by taking it easy, or does it really matter?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
look just in front of fan for a round object the shaft goes on and bolts on the unit that hold fan on the back side of the clutch. it will have fins on it.

mqdefault.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman