Can i haul this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jose6326

Reaction score
Yea my plan is to make it a toy hauler but cheap as possible lol

I figured 4 bikes would be the most i would ever haul in it unless i buy a bigger truck that can handle the weight

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is something you are going to haul several times I would invest in a bigger transmission cooler like this one
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hda-679

I got this cluster for my 2004 and it comes with a built in transmission temperature gauge or you can go the cheap route and buy a gauge for about $50.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-599-301

I would at least install a transmission temperature gauge and try to keep the temp under 200 degrees F. The one thing that kills these transmissions is the heat. As long as you can keep it under 200 you should be ok. Another thing I would do is to change out the transmission filter. Hope that this helps.

OP
OP
J

jose6326

Reaction score
Thanks for the info maximus1

But i have had issues with past vehicles changing the trans fluid and filter on vheicles that have iver 125k miles on them.

I bought this hoe with 147k on it and im afraid if i change the filter and fluid or do a flush the trans might start slipping

What are your thoughts?

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had about 160 with a little slip. And all I did was the fluid slip went away and been running fine for about 10k

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info maximus1

But i have had issues with past vehicles changing the trans fluid and filter on vheicles that have iver 125k miles on them.

I bought this hoe with 147k on it and im afraid if i change the filter and fluid or do a flush the trans might start slipping

What are your thoughts?

You should be ok to change the filter and clean the magnet off. More than likely in past your transmission was going to fail regardless of the fluid change. I did mine at 140k and I was surprised at how much material the magnet picked up. I bought a large neodymium magnet for about $40. This magnet is 10x stronger and will pick up any little particles. I now have almost 200k on my transmission with out any slippage. I'm actually about to install a Hughes stall converter with a 2,500 stall.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you keep the temperature under 200 degrees and keep the fluid topped off and with a bright red color it will last a very long time.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you install the filter correctly and make sure that the little attachment seal is installed correctly on the end of the filter. I've seen so many times where people do their own filter change and then their transmission goes bad. Then I have to tell them that they didn't install the filter correctly and the filter had detached from the transmission and is laying in the pan.