Can i haul this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jose6326

Reaction score
Screenshot_20170317-121159.png Can i haul this camper with my 03 tahoe?

Its an insbrook by Gulfstream 24 foot

I dont want to burn out my trans

I have 167k miles on my tahoe

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be going very far towing that with a stock hoe

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can i haul this camper with my 03 tahoe?

Its an insbrook by Gulfstream 24 foot

Can you provide any more information about your Tahoe? Engine size, rear axle ratio, 2wd / 4wd? All these things change your tow rating.

Also, a year and model number of the Gulfstream would help to get the specs for it. It really looks like that is much longer than 24'. Mine is a 21' Glufstream, and it looks like 2/3rds of the one in that photo.

My gut says, no, but the numbers will make the final call.

Last edited:

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we had a 29' nomad trailer we hauled with a '91 1500 Suburban, we used a load leveling hitch with full anti-sway bars.

I'd highly recommend anti-sway bars no matter what you end up with. Makes it safer on the road.

OP
OP
J

jose6326

Reaction score
The camper is a 1990 dont know the model number
Plan on going to look at it tomorrow at the sellers location

I.plan on gutting part of it out to haul 4 sport bikes in it

My truck is a 5.3l 4x4
Dont know the rear axel ratio

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think the the 4 bikes would weigh a lot more than whatever you take out. You might also need to reinforce the chassis on that to support the weight of the bikes also.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 bikes would weigh around 1600lbs
It looks like an '03 4WD 5.3L is rated for 7,400lbs whether it has a 3.73 or a 4.10.

I also tried to find the closest match for the trailer and a 1992 '24 Innsbruck comes in at a dry weight of 5,200lbs. There should be a decal on the front driver's side exterior corner with the information. Mine also has one inside the cabinet over the kitchen sink.

I was going to say that this set up as-is would be hitting the upper limit of what you could comfortably tow once you loaded it with typical gear. Adding 1600+ pounds to the very rear of the trailer would both increase your total weight closet to / above your tow limit, and also drastically reduce your tongue weight. For a rough calculation you can assume the 1/3 of the weight of an item behind the axle will be taken off the tongue weight do to the leverage around the axles. With that much weight in the back, and already being at the limit of your Tahoe, it would be hard to add enough weight forward of the axle to get you to a safe 12-13% tongue weight to control sway and have a comfortable towing experience.

OP
OP
J

jose6326

Reaction score
I appreciate the info mals

I did go see the camper and the info on the inside and out side was worn off

My plan was to completely gut out the interior and hopefully reduce it by 500lbs

Then i would put 2 bikes in front and 2 in the middle to even the weight

Then make 2 fold down beds and possibly put a tool box inside and a small lightweight work table

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plan was to completely gut out the interior and hopefully reduce it by 500lbs. Then i would put 2 bikes in front and 2 in the middle to even the weight. Then make 2 fold down beds and possibly put a tool box inside and a small lightweight work table
Ah, ok. Sounds like you have a plan. For some reason I was assuming that you were converting the back room into a modern style toy-hauler.

Good luck with the project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy