camshaft retard offset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If you are close to Houston, I will take a look at it for you!

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

BTW, I advanced my timing 5 degrees to get a bit more power and throttle response. Truck runs awesome now!!! The light wont come on unless there is more than 10-12 degrees retarded or advanced IIRC.

Wait! Going to +5 gives you more power? Really? Please explain?

I would like to know this too. This doesn't seem right.

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
are you reffering to setting the offset +5* ?? from what i understand it throws the SES code if off more that + - 4*.
but i do see how it could run better just becuase when i had trouble getting my offset adjusted the first time, it was set at 12* retard and it felt like i was pulling a semi, so like the older non computerized ignitions, slightly advanced timing equalled more power.
:hmm:i guess im comfused with the advanced timing aspect just becuase its the crankshaft/camshaft offset that is being changed and not necessarily the timing.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he is referring to the retard offset that's adjusted by turning your distributor.

So who wants to volunteer to try this?
When it warms up, I will. Just to see if it works and gives me more kick in the butt-o-meter results. It'll be a few weeks yet though...

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
i wouldnt mind being the test subject, but i dont have easy access to do the offset adjustment. let us know if it works out, cause if its a noticable improvement, im all for it

amack23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 96 Tahoe 5.7 V8 with 202,000 miles. I was getting the dreaded P0300 (Random multiple misfire) code so I decided to do a minor tune-up before taking it to get emissions tested. I changed the plugs, cap, rotor, pcv valve and dielectric grease on the usual parts. The wires are not that old and they still looked pretty good so I decided to leave them in. Also, before changing the plugs, I decided to Seafoam her. After this minor tune-up, the P0300 code went away (yes!) and a new one appeared. Now, I have the dreaded p1345 (cam timing issue). I’ve had this Tahoe for 12 years and I never seen a p1345 code before. Is it possible to install the rotor incorrectly? Could I have thrown the retard off? The distributor does not move at all when I tried turning it to see if it’s loose and I even put the old rotor back in to see if the new one was bad. I’m not sure if that was a good test but I did it anyway. Does the rotor button prong have to point in a certain direction or does it matter? It just seems odd to me that changing out these parts can throw this particular code. Any help you guys render is MUCH appreciated!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
:welcome:

The cam sensor reads a trigger from the distributor shaft so a rotor change would not do it. If your scanner reads the same rpms as your tach on the dash then assume you setting get disturbed some how and re-zero your cam retard you should be fine. If the scanner sees a much different reading then the dash then you cranks sensor circuit is screwed up.

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
i would suggest removing the distributor and looking at the distributor gear to see if its worn. if it is, it will cause excessi e play and throw that code so you will need to replace the distri itor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr