camshaft position sensor where is it 07 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Oh, the link above says:
Crankshaft Variation Relearn Procedure (Crank Relearn) must be performed if:
• ECC was reprogrammed.
• Crankshaft position sensor has been replaced.
• ECC has been replaced.

OP
OP
L

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, the link above says:
Crankshaft Variation Relearn Procedure (Crank Relearn) must be performed if:
• ECC was reprogrammed.
• Crankshaft position sensor has been replaced.
• ECC has been replaced.
The Crankshaft Position Sensor is designed to record the rate at which the crankshaft is spinning. This sensor consists of a toothed metal disk mounted on the crankshaft and a stationary detector that covers a magnetic coil that the current passes through. As the metal teeth move past the coil, its magnetic field is disturbed. This causes a stream of pulses in the current. The computer can calculate the crankshaft's speed from the frequency of the pulses.

The camshaft position sensor

When it comes to knowing if the air and fuel ratio is correct or not, knowing the position of your engine's camshaft can go a long way. That's because the camshaft's speed determines when the mixture should be ignited in the engine cylinders. When measuring camshaft speed, you can't rely on anything else except a device called the camshaft position sensor. As the name implies, this sensor detects the camshaft's speed, position, acceleration, and even deceleration. Information on these are sent by the sensor to the engine management system, which then makes the adjustments needed for the fuel injection's timing. With a properly working sensor, your engine can run smoothly and more economically. Meaning, you'll have less engine problems while you're able to save fuel at the same time. What's more, installing this cam sensor is far simpler than it seems. First, you just remove the oil and the silver unit. Then, you should be able to disconnect the old sensor using a small screwdriver. After removing the old sensor, simply insert the new sensor, securely bolting it along with the washer to stabilize it. Finally, reconnect the connector before linking the silver unit to the VANOS unit. So when your ride's own camshaft position sensor goes kaput, there's no need to push the panic button. That's because you can easily get a new one from Auto Parts.

PS: You're right when it comes to the crankshaft position sensor, you have to have it relearn, not so much with the camshaft position sensor which you just replace it and that's it.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Haha i'm a tool for that, did not realize you were saying camshaft.

OP
OP
L

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha i'm a tool for that, did not realize you were saying camshaft.
It don't matter, you were trying to help me out, you were in the right direction just wrong sensor hahaha. At least you guys have tried to help me out. Thanks to you Mod, Mac, iwaslowr, nv6425, thanks for helping a brother out.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Anytime Jr, don't be afraid to message people (inc. me) if answers/help seem a bit slow, sometimes people just don't see stuff.

OP
OP
L

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime Jr, don't be afraid to message people (inc. me) if answers/help seem a bit slow, sometimes people just don't see stuff.
well got to go change my brakes on the hoe. I know it's a little late, but going to vegas tomorrow, wish me luck. I'm getting drunk like a mother. once again thanks bro. I'll keep what you said in mind. Like we say in cali. Al Rato Vato (see you later Homie)

SMUCatfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Camshaft Position Sensor Location '07 Tahoe/Yukon

All,

Vehicle: 2007 Yukon SLT 5.3 V8

I had to replace my camshaft position sensor this weekend based on the error code I was receiving. After searching online all week, I was unable to find an accurate description of the location of the sensor. I purchased the sensor at my local Chevy dealer's parts counter. The parts associate was able to show me a diagram of where the sensor is located. It is located behind and just below the water pump on the front of the block. I hope my comments, attached pics, and replacement steps help the next guy.

Replacement Steps:
1. Remove serpentine belt.
2. Remove fastening bolt with 10mm socket and extension.
3. Bend back the metal protective bracket enough to remove the sensor cable.
4. Remove sensor cable.
5. Remove old camshaft position sensor. Use flathead screwdriver positioned from top and behind water pump if necessary. I had to work the sensor in and out a few times before it came loose.
6. Insert new camshaft position sensor.
7. Bend metal protective bracket back into place.
8. Replace 10mm bolt.
9. Plug in sensor cable.
10. Re-install serpentine belt.
Total time: 1 hour
Note - My check engine light cleared after about 5 restarts. Everything is running smoothly. No relearning necessary.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 123
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Pic 3.JPG
    Pic 3.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 118

08av

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All,

Vehicle: 2007 Yukon SLT 5.3 V8

I had to replace my camshaft position sensor this weekend based on the error code I was receiving. After searching online all week, I was unable to find an accurate description of the location of the sensor. I purchased the sensor at my local Chevy dealer's parts counter. The parts associate was able to show me a diagram of where the sensor is located. It is located behind and just below the water pump on the front of the block. I hope my comments, attached pics, and replacement steps help the next guy.

Replacement Steps:
1. Remove serpentine belt.
2. Remove fastening bolt with 10mm socket and extension.
3. Bend back the metal protective bracket enough to remove the sensor cable.
4. Remove sensor cable.
5. Remove old camshaft position sensor. Use flathead screwdriver positioned from top and behind water pump if necessary. I had to work the sensor in and out a few times before it came loose.
6. Insert new camshaft position sensor.
7. Bend metal protective bracket back into place.
8. Replace 10mm bolt.
9. Plug in sensor cable.
10. Re-install serpentine belt.
Total time: 1 hour
Note - My check engine light cleared after about 5 restarts. Everything is running smoothly. No relearning necessary.

Good info! and by the way what are the common issues related to this sensor? I read if you change cam you must change sensor.why?

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Do the auto parts stores include installation instructions with their replacements?

There is a very simple reason why the answer is No. Auto Parts Stores would have to have info on all cars ever made. The resources required your that is extravagant. Dealerships typically only carry info for ten years.

I'll try to go to the dealer this week, i'll keep posted if they actually do that. Now as far as the auto parts store, no they just include a warranty if it comes with it.

This is truth.

Hey Jr, I read his thread, but did not say anything becase I have no clue how to fix it.
I can tell yout that you WILL need a Crank Relearn done after replacing it to get your check engine light off, look for a Napa Auto Care Center to that for you.

Lol. Being a Napa Car Care Center only means they have to spend X dollar amount in parts every month. Failure to do so and the shop gets charged a service fee. To the best of my knowledge, Napa is the only parts store to do that. Whether or not shops can provide a certain service is irrelevant on who it gets its parts from, and entirely dependent on the shop itself.

OP
OP
L

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as far as the crankshaft position sensor, I bought it at Camino Real Chevrolet, it was cheaper than Autozone, now, the dealer actually gave me a schematic of where the sensor was, which is behind the water pump, pretty hard to get to, but manageable, took about 1 hr and done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout