Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's engine building 101 to ALWAYS replace the lifters when replacing the camshaft.
Wrong. Sorry but that's the old days, before roller lifters. Go look on sites like www.performancetrucks.net and you'll see plenty of folks doing cams in LS engines without pulling the heads or replacing lifters. Just depends on how high the mileage is. I consulted with quite a few people including Roger Vinci at Vinci High Performance, my cam grinder, and they agreed at 150,000 I didn't need to worry about it. But at 238,000 I would think it's a different story.
Edit: keep in mind I'm also running a blower which puts way more stress on the valvetrain and still the consensus was I'm fine.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Rocket Man, as for me and house, I'll stick with the old ways. We had roller lifters in the old days and we changed them then too. Metallurgy seems to be the same still too.

But I'll admit I'm new to these LS motors.

How much money are a couple of head gaskets, head bolts and a set of lifters these days? $250-300?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Rocket Man, as for me and house, I'll stick with the old ways. We had roller lifters in the old days and we changed them then too. Metallurgy seems to be the same still too.

But I'll admit I'm new to these LS motors.

How much money are a couple of head gaskets, head bolts and a set of lifters these days? $250-300?
How much is it to pull a supercharger and all that requires? No thanks if it's not needed. That alone to me is a 10 hour job not including the parts. No need to over complicate things if you don't need to. Just because you're swapping a cam has nothing to do with the lifters, it's not like the old engines where the lifters are right there when you do do the cam. In that case you're already there so it makes sense to just throw lifters in. In an LS you don't need to pull the heads to do the cam but you do to do the lifters.

OP
OP
boomboom baker

boomboom baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong. Sorry but that's the old days, before roller lifters. Go look on sites like www.performancetrucks.net and you'll see plenty of folks doing cams in LS engines without pulling the heads or replacing lifters. Just depends on how high the mileage is. I consulted with quite a few people including Roger Vinci at Vinci High Performance, my cam grinder, and they agreed at 150,000 I didn't need to worry about it. But at 238,000 I would think it's a different story.
Edit: keep in mind I'm also running a blower which puts way more stress on the valvetrain and still the consensus was I'm fine.
I'm going to replace lifters anyway I was asking if 238000 miles is ok to put this type of cam in I have lifters valve springs retainers and everything to match the cam it's a hole kit btr stage 4 cam

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to replace lifters anyway I was asking if 238000 miles is ok to put this type of cam in I have lifters valve springs retainers and everything to match the cam it's a hole kit btr stage 4 cam
That question is best answered by the cam grinder. When I bought my Vinci cam, Roger Vinci himself answered any questions I had, and that was quite a few. Then after I bought it , before I installed it, and even after I installed it. I had questions regarding other engine mods I was thinking about and he answered those too. He even answered emails on weekends. If a cam grinder won't answer questions you went with the wrong company. Sorry but I'm not an expert in cams, that's why I went to a company that was and I made sure they would be there for me. Obviously a shout-out for Vinci High Performance is in order. Interestingly, I went to Brian Tooley's website and clicked on "FAQ/TUTORIALS" and all I got was "this is the faq" with no faq or tutorials. Have you reached out to them?

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late to this conversation but what the heck.

From my LS-1 F-Body days, if you are going into the engine that far, might as well do a new timing chain set. And if you are doing a timing chain set, you might as well throw in a new oil pump and oil filter. My .02, which isn't really worth a penny these days.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late to this conversation but what the heck.

From my LS-1 F-Body days, if you are going into the engine that far, might as well do a new timing chain set. And if you are doing a timing chain set, you might as well throw in a new oil pump and oil filter. My .02, which isn't really worth a penny these days.
Yeah I did that myself. And in order to do the pump I pulled the pan even though some say you can just drop the front down a bit. That way I could install a new pan gasket and make sure it didn’t leak.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get by without dropping the pan, which is a major pain with an f-body. The back screw is kinda hard. I wrapped it with a piece of safety wire to hold it and got it started, then removed the safety wire. No dropping it in the pan for me!!

medium800.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne