Cam size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dustinh

Dustinh

Reaction score
I just had a lifter get stuck. I replaced the cam I use the melling MTC - 7 and it works great all I had to do was upgrade the springs and put the rest of it back together. The specs on it we're much similar to a low-end crane cam. I have a slight idle problem which is normal when you change the cam but once it gets warmer I will be able to get it tuned with the guy over at the diablosport forums. If you do any cam upgrade you will more than likely need to get it tuned to make you completely happy. Besides you'll get so much performance and efficiency increase with it it's actually worth it I think.
One of the cams I’ve actually been looking at is the melling MTC-8

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Tom, I clicked on the link you provided via my PC. In the Q&A Summit recommends valve springs and Pace Performance's website was where I recorded the max lift of the various springs.

There is a terrible amount of conflicting information out in cyberspace and that being said if yours is holding up well then the combination should be promoted and considered by those looking to do the same. How much horsepower and torque did you gain, assuming you were able to measure the results?
Sorry for the late reply. I totally agree about conflicting information on the web. I did use this cam with the stock springs without any issues until I bought the 799 heads and then saved up to have them decked and ported. This cam seriously woke up this 5.3L. I have several upgrades other than the cam. But all N/A no power adders it was estimated by the amount of air flow into the engine that at the crank it was 494hp and I ran a 12.7 1/4 mile weighing 5,320lbs. I’m planning on putting it on a dyno very soon. I just need to swap out torque converters because mine is slipping thanks to a custom made converter by B&I that leaks. Going to cost me a extra $500 to swap back to my Hughes converter. Thanks B&I I’ll never buy another torque converter from you again. I also upgraded to 76lb injectors so I am going to install a fuel regulator and bump the pressure up from 55psi to 95psi. I sometimes get a lean code which with this fix should help correct it. My fuel pump is a deatschwerks and is rated over 100psi

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I totally agree about conflicting information on the web. I did use this cam with the stock springs without any issues until I bought the 799 heads and then saved up to have them decked and ported. This cam seriously woke up this 5.3L. I have several upgrades other than the cam. But all N/A no power adders it was estimated by the amount of air flow into the engine that at the crank it was 494hp and I ran a 12.7 1/4 mile weighing 5,320lbs. I’m planning on putting it on a dyno very soon. I just need to swap out torque converters because mine is slipping thanks to a custom made converter by B&I that leaks. Going to cost me a extra $500 to swap back to my Hughes converter. Thanks B&I I’ll never buy another torque converter from you again. I also upgraded to 76lb injectors so I am going to install a fuel regulator and bump the pressure up from 55psi to 95psi. I sometimes get a lean code which with this fix should help correct it. My fuel pump is a deatschwerks and is rated over 100psi
Only problem I have with this guys with blown, cammed, geared 6ltrs are running those times. You are asking a lot from a pair of heads. Provided you have enough fuel pump you should not be getting lean codes with 76lb injectors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only problem I have with this guys with blown, cammed, geared 6ltrs are running those times. You are asking a lot from a pair of heads. Provided you have enough fuel pump you should not be getting lean codes with 76lb injectors.

I had a vacuum leak. The CNC program for the 799 heads that was used opens up the intake rocker arm stud and I forgot to use thread sealant. It’s actually running extremely well. I just can’t keep a 4L70E transmission from blowing up. Two built Transmissions and now working on a third. Sorry for the late reply.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a vacuum leak. The CNC program for the 799 heads that was used opens up the intake rocker arm stud and I forgot to use thread sealant. It’s actually running extremely well. I just can’t keep a 4L70E transmission from blowing up. Two built Transmissions and now working on a third. Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, a port job will open up the studs. A dual fed 4l80, a good converter and you will put your trans problems behind you. It handles power so well it doesn't feel like it's even breaking a sweat even when I lay into it. It actually gets smoother the harder I run it..not saying its rough just cruisimg around. Just dont feel fragile like the 4l60/70. I'm going to do a video running her thru the gears...hits triple digits pretty fast..no need for torque management anymore...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64