Cam size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustinh

Reaction score
so the motor in my 02 hoe is locked up. And after going back and forth on rebuild or replace with a 6.0, I think I want to rebuild it and put in a cam. My question is one that has probably been answered quite a few times on here but what cam can be used with stock stall and stock valve train? Or do I have to upgrade the valve train for any cam? I want a noticeable lope but don’t want a crazy cam. Looking at the stage 2 Brian Tooley. If the valve train needs to be upgraded, upgrade to what? Thank you in advance for input

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crane and Cam Motion have camshafts that can still use the original springs. Most folks will upgrade to LS6 springs (.570 max) anyway as the cost is minimal relatively speaking. Which motor do you have, an LM7?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustinh

Dustinh

Reaction score
Yes it’s the 5.3 flex fuel. I see cams that say stall recommended and big cams say valve train upgrade recommended but just an upgrade cam it doesn’t say

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to call Brian, rather his shop, and let them spec one out for you. They know what works with what and can get you all squared away.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any good cam grinder will set you up with the correct cam if you talk to them and let them know what your goals are. I used Vinci High Performance and Roger Vinci not only set me up the first time but answered questions months afterwards as I added more performance parts and wanted to make sure it would all still work together.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your L59s stock cam specs are 191-190 .457-.466 114

BTR Stage I Truck is 206-212 .525-.534 114+2

This cam will need stronger springs. Stock springs are good for .520 lift.

Check out these three Crane Cams, the 1449501, 1449541 and 1449511. Cam Motion also some similar grinds but they just changed their website and standardized some specs so check them out for the latest. There's a fella on another forum with one of these low lift camshafts that picked up 40 horsepower with no loss in fuel economy and no need for a torque converter. I see these much bigger camshafts and while they sound great, I do not think their higher lifts are offering us with trucks any more power. But I am new to these LS engines and haven't been messing with cars in 20 plus years.

I may get that first Crane Cam or spec one out just slightly larger just because.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dustinh

Dustinh

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I might purchase a set of springs and hardened rods since the motor is going to be out anyway. Still don’t want a crazy cam tho

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I might purchase a set of springs and hardened rods since the motor is going to be out anyway. Still don’t want a crazy cam tho
Vinci High Performance has packages with pushrods and springs all meant to go together. Their website lists what the different cams require, and he's also one of the few who spec cams specifically for trucks so you don't lose bottom end torque. Make sure you don't get something meant for a car. If you're going to do springs, make sure to get one of the spring compressors meant specifically for an LS engine or you'll be fighting it, especially if you go with dual springs like I did.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vinci does Crane's R&D or something like that. Crane's 1449541 and Vinci's MTR065 share the same specs and are very popular choices for trucks that tow where losing bottom end torque is unacceptable. It's right up your alley.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it’s the 5.3 flex fuel. I see cams that say stall recommended and big cams say valve train upgrade recommended but just an upgrade cam it doesn’t say
Dustin,
I have had the same exact issue that you are having now. I decided on the 5.3l with a good cam and I can’t be happier. The cam I went with requires no valve train mods. It’s a Howard’s cam from Summit Racing and everyone I’ve talked to loves the sound and performance too. Here’s a link https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-197245-12
This cam makes a great daily driver plus it really seemed to wake up this 5.3l. It will run after you install it but the ECM can’t seem to catch up so a custom tune is highly recommended