cam plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had to use cam plates when lowering there Tahoe?

When would cam plates be necessary, at what drop would they be needed?

Thanks

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed DJM control arms and it came with cam plates, but I installed these since I had them already: ACDelco 45K0177

They assure your camber won't change since they have holes that lock into the pins for camber adjustment. They can be used anytime, whether your truck is drop or not.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should've clarified a little more.
I'm getting ready to drop my Tahoe, starting off with roughly a 4/6 drop. I had seen NNBS trucks go lower than 4" up front and end up having to use cam plates to get the extra degree of alignment. I think the SUVs and trucks share the same front end and was just curious if anyone had gone any lower than 4' up front and had to use the cam plates to correct there alignments.

I ended up getting the BellTech alignment plates, more for the drop than anything.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should've clarified a little more.
I'm getting ready to drop my Tahoe, starting off with roughly a 4/6 drop. I had seen NNBS trucks go lower than 4" up front and end up having to use cam plates to get the extra degree of alignment. I think the SUVs and trucks share the same front end and was just curious if anyone had gone any lower than 4' up front and had to use the cam plates to correct there alignments.

I ended up getting the BellTech alignment plates, more for the drop than anything.
I think the Belltech plates are I bit different. They involve grinding the slot a bit to provide more adjustment. I don't think I ever heard the plates gave more adjustment as the rotation of regular plates and the holes of cam locks are the same. I could be wrong though. That's why I ended up with the djm control arms. It maintains the alignment, and no need for extra adjustments or camber kits. The camlocks just assure that the camber is not gonna move.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they a pita to install? I bought a set for my 03 but I'm not gonna use them.
Extremely easy actually. You only replace the two outside plates with the cam locks by removing the nut and swapping plates. Just have to assure the pins line up with the holes.ec6d4091bb1c949724b6c1d4d8dcfe34.jpgef6d9c6d0c88dc81110d2ebd773914cb.jpg

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they a pita to install? I bought a set for my 03 but I'm not gonna use them.

The BT ones are a pain, you have to line them up and scribe and cut out to that line.

I think the Belltech plates are I bit different. They involve grinding the slot a bit to provide more adjustment. I don't think I ever heard the plates gave more adjustment as the rotation of regular plates and the holes of cam locks are the same. I could be wrong though. That's why I ended up with the djm control arms. It maintains the alignment, and no need for extra adjustments or camber kits. The camlocks just assure that the camber is not gonna move.

Looking at yours, I'm jealous.
How does everything line up with your drop?
How much drop do you have?
That grinding is what I'm talking about with these plates that helps get that extra adjustment. Along with the grinding the hole out, you also remove the pin.
I'll have to take a picture of the plates in comparison to the stockers.
The locks are what I like about the DJM

Extremely easy actually. You only replace the two outside plates with the cam locks by removing the nut and swapping plates. Just have to assure the pins line up with the holes.ec6d4091bb1c949724b6c1d4d8dcfe34.jpgef6d9c6d0c88dc81110d2ebd773914cb.jpg

What's your drop?
What's your wheel/tire size?

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the BT were a pain. I had actually gotten the ones that you push out the bushings. I couldn't get them back in, so took to a place and they destroyed the ends and the rubber around them , so I swapped everything with DJM.

Everything lines up perfect. You can see how the upper ball joint sits near perfectly parallel with the spindle. I was turning the wheel and couldn't even hear the rack making any noise. It was effortless lol.

The arms give it a 3 inch drop, plus I have the McGaughys shocks set for 1in, so it's at about 3.5 and think it'll eventually settle to the 4. Also on currently on stock 275/55/20, but have 295/35/24 that'll be swapping real soon.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at my before with stock upper arms, Belltech bushings and McGaughys spindle. That upper ball joint angle is all wrong and looks like is holding on to dear life lol.ff63f36d3fe238c989d51f492a301185.jpg

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the BT alignment bushings, spindles, struts and Pedders 2.5" coils.
I seriously hope I don't run into any problems, haha.
I pretty much have an entire front end sitting in my basement and shed waiting to be installed.

Wow, The upper ball joint is perfect with the DJM arms. Not so much with the stockers. That's what I'm worried about.
Does DJM sell just the uppers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu