California Emissions and Catalytic Converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the GMT900 platform, is there any differences between the engines and cats between Federal and California emissions other than CARB numbers on certain parts?

I was reminded that my truck has California emissions (NE1 and NU5) and wondered if there is a physical difference between the cats and y-pipe and if it has anything additional that a Federal vehicle does not.

TIA!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know when I was buying cats for my GMT800 there were Cali legal ones and the non Cali ones. Some would be listed as " not fir California emissions".

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In general California emissions are stricter. Often you will see the Cats have a bigger cell count to filter the exhaust better, ECU could have a slightly different tune, EGR differences, etc...basically its usually choked down more and emits a cleaner exhaust.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general California emissions are stricter. Often you will see the Cats have a bigger cell count to filter the exhaust better, ECU could have a slightly different tune, EGR differences, etc...basically its usually choked down more and emits a cleaner exhaust.

Thank you Chris, I've been searching without success for more specific information. I put Federal cats on my truck completely forgetting that it came with California emissions and wondered what exactly the differences are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore