Cabin filter retrofit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested.

Tell your wife you need to work on truck for 2-3 hrs

1. Get a sheetrock knife1DB9422B-BADD-437B-BD96-014E44C5EDDD.jpeg

2. Get door and filter from dorman or gm, your choice. (There are two diff kinds depending on year, i will grab a pic of older style which also has 2 filters instead of 1. 00-05 have older style I believe and 06-14 have newer style... before you guys get all over me, they changed design of box in 05)
C1B01FED-9B3A-40B3-A425-547440262082.jpeg

3. Remove lower dash kick panel under passenger side dash. 4 or 5 7mm screws
Lower dash kick panel
7FBD22C3-6422-4B34-A9E1-2FE44CEBD7FC.jpeg

4. Locate evaporator/heater core box and look for outline on bottom of box.96B4A025-B843-45C5-AD08-B3BD150DB0E5.jpeg

5. Cut open following the lines

FA230554-15A6-4C4E-8E04-F95F3C8959BE.jpeg
Do it a little neater than this guy, sheetrock knife works well, a dremel can get away from you, like this....

6. Clean out box the best you can(some have leaves and gunk in them others may be dusty, be careful not to bend the fins)

7. Install filter (or 2 if older style)

8. Install your newly acquired cabin filter door.

9. Replace lower dash kick panel under dash.

10. Sit back and drink beer for the next 1 hour and 45 minutes or 2 hours 45 minutes depending on how long you told your wife you’d be.

Last edited:

jcp21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am wondering if this will help with smells getting in the car?
I have a 2013 Escalade and even with the A/C or heat on I get a lot of outside smells in the car (Exhaust, wiper fluid, etc). Will this solve the problem? or could one or more seals be shot.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not much you can do about smells, you can buy the filter that is febreezed, and rest easy knowing at least you have a filter now, and don't fart with the windows up.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if this will help with smells getting in the car?
I have a 2013 Escalade and even with the A/C or heat on I get a lot of outside smells in the car (Exhaust, wiper fluid, etc). Will this solve the problem? or could one or more seals be shot.
Escalade ‘should’ have one, if not yes it will help with ‘outside air’ but so will recirculated air

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much. Older calls completely closed off from the outside. I think the doors close 80-90% only now for reasons forgotten. I buy the charcoal filters as they do a better job with the smells and febreeze helps too and them little glade things you stick in the vent every month or so.

Make sure the blades is sharp, real sharp! Ours took a while as the blades were not so sharp and I am weak and my daughter, well, she's a girl, the weaker vessel.

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much. Older calls completely closed off from the outside. I think the doors close 80-90% only now for reasons forgotten. I buy the charcoal filters as they do a better job with the smells and febreeze helps too and them little glade things you stick in the vent every month or so.
Im sure your right james however i routinely drive behind some smelly diesels or something in the ‘farm air’ around here and i hit recirculated on and it clears up (crack the back window to get smell out then recirculated). I drove a 2016 dodge 4500 pickup the other day and the guy who had it before me smoked cigars like a chimney. I pulled the glove box and started spraying ozium air sanitizer in the box and was hitting recirculated on and off and the door was completely closing off the box from exterior/interior and i even shoved a little ‘air freshener’ tree into it and it blocked the door from completely closing. That being said i never completely looked at our setup so it is entirely possible gm did that.