C0455 error after replacing intermediate shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparky75013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced the intermediate shaft on my 05 Yukon. The knocking noise went away which is great! The problem - my trusty 10 year old assistant did not hold the steering wheel still while I replaced the shaft and now I think it is 360 degrees off in one direction or the other. The steering wheel is straight. I am now getting a C0455 service stability code. I read here that the steering column sensor/position could be reset with an OBD scanner. I took it to a dealer who wants $542.34 to replace the sensor, they are telling me that the position/sensor cannot be reset. I do not have an OBD scanner to reset this, but am ready to buy one if I can find one that will cover this year/model and possibly something like a 2017/18 year model. Can someone either:

1) Recommend an honest tech in far North Dallas to take this to and reset this

2) Recommend a model of OBD scanner that is needed to reset this

3) Confirm that this dealership is trying to screw me

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to a good alignment shop that uses computerized Hunter equipment. I had my alignment done for $59. My sensor was off about 2-1/2 degrees and they reset it for about $49. My guy said he has seen them off about 360 degrees before. It was about a 10 minute process to reset. So I would call around to good tire shops or repair shops and ask if they can do it.

OP
OP
S

Sparky75013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Take it to a good alignment shop that uses computerized Hunter equipment. I had my alignment done for $59. My sensor was off about 2-1/2 degrees and they reset it for about $49. My guy said he has seen them off about 360 degrees before. It was about a 10 minute process to reset. So I would call around to good tire shops or repair shops and ask if they can do it.

Thank you, Just so I am clear, the computer will need to have the code cleared from the memory after the alignment is done - correct?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watching. Hopefully don't have this issue, but I've got upper/lower ISS, bearing and sensor ready to go in. Also in need of a good front end shop because mine is all sorts of hosed and been through new tie rods/pitman/idler two times and won't hold an alignment to save its life now.

I'm in Frisco. Howdy!

OP
OP
S

Sparky75013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Matt, I am on the hunt for someone with a Hunter System other than GoodYear and Firestone. I have been down that road on ore than one occasion already. I also know not to go to McKinney GMC, they are the ones that want $542 to replace the sensor.

1_8TTony

Reaction score
my trusty 10 year old assistant did not hold the steering wheel still while I replaced the shaft and now I think it is 360 degrees off in one direction or the other.
If the steering wheel is 360 degrees off in one direction or the other.........how will a front end alignment solve the C0455 code. I mean, was the code present before the intermediate shaft replacement?

I think.......if the steering wheel is infact 360 degrees out, I think the problem is more than likely with the clockspring.

If the clockspring is 360 degrees off, the airbag may not deploy in the event of a frontal collision due to SRS system interpreting the vehicle as sharply turning.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Just so I am clear, the computer will need to have the code cleared from the memory after the alignment is done - correct?

It should be cleared in the course of the reset anyway. I know with mine it was an ignition on, ignition off, scanner talking to computer, repeat several times, etc... I was also surprised at the other codes present the scanner was able to see.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the steering wheel is 360 degrees off in one direction or the other.........how will a front end alignment solve the C0455 code. I mean, was the code present before the intermediate shaft replacement?

I think.......if the steering wheel is infact 360 degrees out, I think the problem is more than likely with the clockspring.

If the clockspring is 360 degrees off, the airbag may not deploy in the event of a frontal collision due to SRS system interpreting the vehicle as sharply turning.

I don't know that the clock spring would throw the code. It would just be "sprung". The code would be from the steering angle sensor mounted on the steering shaft. It sounds as if the steering shaft was rotated 360 without the intermediate shaft present...

I think a good repair alignment shop with computerized equipment can tell.

Also, don't be afraid to watch and ask the tech questions!

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor itself works a lot like a cam or crank sensor. The shaft is monitored for movement from the straight ahead position. The position of the wheel is then compared with data from the yaw sensor which is an accelerometer that tries to figure out if you are going where you want to go. So you are smart to get this fixed!