BYE BYE SIDE MOLDING>>HOW TO/PICS on removing side moldings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to me it looks so much better i love the look, plush smooth.....yeaaahhhhhh sexy!!!

Attachments

• DSC01069.jpg
    DSC01069.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC01068.jpg
    DSC01068.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 242

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little suspicious of this nitro gas being paint safe? If it burns your hands, isn't that a good indication that it could possibly damage the clear coat?

B

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMMuuuuuuuuccccchhhhh better. Its gives it a sleek, clean look. Good choice!

OP
OP

1sikyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little suspicious of this nitro gas being paint safe? If it burns your hands, isn't that a good indication that it could possibly damage the clear coat?

B

I had that exact same feeling when i was told to use that, but after deciding i felt ballsy and went ahead n did it what i did was right away washed the car really really good, then the next day i took a buffer and bufffed the whole door and the paint/clear coat is smooth and with no discoloration at all. So idk if i got luckey or it really works. I was told paint safe.

pjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got a day off from work and decided to finally remove my side moldings from my 2008 Yukon. Now just a quick write up on how to do (sorry no actual pics of the steps i took, just of the finished product):

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
-Heat Gun
-Latex Gloves
-A good amount of lint free towels
-Remote Control Car/plane nitro gas
-Car Wax
-Buffer
-about 4 and a half hours of your spare time
-Movie tickets for your wife/gf

Step one: Heat up one of the ends of the moldings, and start to peel it up as you heat the glue underneath. This will cause some of the glue to come off with the molding but some will stay on the car.

Step Two: After removing all the moldings off all four doors, use the nitro gas (found at hobby shops that sell remote control gas planes and cars) This is safe for your car paint and pretty much melts the sticky tape off of your vehicle. The trick is to SOAK i mean SOAK the towel with the nitro gas and start rubbing off the tape, this easier said then done but it deff. helps ( i tried goo gone and about 10 other products and no cigar!) MAKE SURE TO WHERE THE GLOVES! your hands will burn from the gas if not!!!! After removing all the tape could take up to 2 hours!! wash your car or at least the parts that the gas was on to remove gas off vehicle paint.

Step Three:Apply a good amount of wax onto the parts where the tape/moldings use to be, with a buffer start to buff out the area applying a good amount of pressure to the buffer, let the wax sit for a little and remove with a soft cloth. This should help remove any shadows of the tape/moldings and will shine up that part of the car to hopefully match the color of the rest of the door.

Step Four: shower and pass out! This isnt easy but worth it! I love the way it looks below are pics before and after, Hope this helped!

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES DONE TO YOUR CAR FOR ANY REASON! JUST A WRITE UP TO LET YOU KNOW HOW I DID IT! THANKS!

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:59 PM ----------

BEFORE:
MYCARNEW.jpg

AFTER:
DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

shit on tha 2004 yukon is hard ass hell to get that sticky tape off i HAD TO STOP CAUSE MY FINGER TIPS STARTED BLEEDIN IM GOIN ON DAY 2 WITH THIS STICKY SHIT AN IM GETTIN IRITATED

yolo

MarkBarbee.com
Reaction score
In AZ we can just go pull them off (if they are not falling off). It is SO FREAKING HOT HERE! Looks better. You can lower the back but put tow bags back there. I have don that on a few of my rides over the years.

DwDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks much better! I'm seriously thinking about taking my side moldings off, think it would look better?

33598250031_large.jpg

Thanks,
DwDrummer

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
In AZ we can just go pull them off (if they are not falling off). It is SO FREAKING HOT HERE! Looks better. You can lower the back but put tow bags back there. I have don that on a few of my rides over the years.

Haha so true. Just let it sit in the sun a few hours and remove away!

---------- Post added at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Looks much better! I'm seriously thinking about taking my side moldings off, think it would look better?

33598250031_large.jpg

Thanks,
DwDrummer

I absolutely think it would look a million times better! Then again I've always preferred a debadged clean look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26