Buzzing Woosh noize behind IPC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is hard to explain but I will try. I got a buzzing/swooshing sound coming from behind the gauge cluster. It happens every once in a while but mainly after the first drive of the day speeding up and going past 10 or so MPH. I notice the sound comes on at times when "Traction Control Active" displays on the DIC. I have never heard the sound before in any other GM vehicle. Perhaps is it a speaker that is dying and only manages to get out noise? Anyone have any ideas?

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was thinking today...how can I describe the noise better. I will get a video on here sometime.

The noise sounds like one of those small cheap wind up toys that flip and stuff. When you let them go you hear the gears buzzing. That's exactly the sound I hear. Any ideas I would like to hear.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, video would help a ton! Does it only do it when you are moving? Has it ever done it during idle?

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It never happens when giving it gas at a stop. So that rules out the tachometer.

It consistently happens when I give it gas in the snow or ice and the rear wheels spin. But sometimes it happens when I have good traction. I am going to remove the cluster and see if it stops. If it does then its likely a speedometer issue.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out what it was. The noise is the brake booster pump doing a self test at 10 mph after first start. I happened to stumble upon the information on alldata.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe