Built a Rear Cargo Shelf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdnitedrftr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to post about this the other week when I built it. I know its pretty crude, but I didn't want to spend a ton of time/money on it.

My goal was to make better use of the rear cargo area, make it easily removable, and add a little privacy to the items I carry. Also, I made it the same height as the 3rd seats when folded down to allow me to lay larger items flat.

1tbqtNe.jpg

hmIV6JA.jpg

I used some scrap wood I had laying around. The only things I had to purchase were a doormat for the top, and some D-rings so I can strap stuff down if I need to. They also double as a handle during removal.

TeaDubya2011

The Phenomenal Hoe
Reaction score
I like it man. My own 2 cents, but I'd build some sort of carpeted cover for the rear. Like a flip up cover to give it a cleaner look when you lift the gate. But other than that, it's a great idea

SevenFortyOne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very nice! I especially like that you used what you had on hand to make it.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice little box. Good that you didn't have to spend much to get it made also.

Smrtss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I'm thinking of building something similar so I can have an actual spare tire. I love the Escalade dual tip bumper but I also like having a spare tire.

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Functional and looks great. I did something similar with 3/4" plywood and 4x4 posts. It was a bit expedient because I was on a trip and I plan to change how that is setup (aluminum square tubing since the 4x4's take up a lot of space) but for now it works fine to organize my gear.

As of late, I took the rear seats out, and dropped the forward shelf to the bottom so it functions as a platform to level out the floor, protect my amplifier and function as a sleeping platform. I will try to get some pics today of how it looks as modified but here is the initial build.

20160625_164922.jpg

20160629_100514.jpg 20160629_100535.jpg

It sits a little higher than yours and sits level with the rear shelfs. I added some padding and carpet so it is pretty comfortable to sleep on with just a camping pad as an additional cushion. There is more on the complete Project 99 Yukon here.

goomashoom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I built my rear shelf out of scrap 3/4 and 1/2 plywood, L-brackets, and Kreg screws. I made it in two pieces so I can use the rear-most shelf when people are sitting in the 3rd row. I coated it with
Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss. I can sleep on it with a Thermarest under me. I like the ability to easily remove it when I want to haul something big and awkward. I have a shelf for carrying a folding plastic table that I can access even if there's a full load of gear on top. Apparently, I can only upload 5 pictures. I have more pictures if there's interest, such as what it looks like when I'm fully loaded.

I can just squeeze my Minn Kota battery box under the shelf. The middle "tunnel" fits my 10'x10' EZ-Up perfectly or 4 Cabelas plastic ammo cans. I just bought a REI Kingdom table that I slide into the right "tunnel."

I made cut-outs in the legs to reduce weight.

IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6355.JPG

IMG_6356.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

View attachment 83526

IMG_6360.JPG

Last edited:

hcsaturnguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just finished mine this weekend. Not as complex as some of you guys, but I think it'll work. There is a center support under there that you can't see in the picture.

20170611_171351.jpg

camaroz1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work. I'm sure that will come in handy, and lookin in with the liftgate close will look like there is nothing in there. Is it fastened down to the cargo floor somehow, or just the fit and the weight hold it in place?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons