Budget Autoride Delete - Need Towing Ability - Maybe lowered?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need some advise on deleting the factory autoride on an 05 Tahoe that I use to tow a travel trailer monthly. I recently replaced the compressor and had been trying to use some of the cheapie ebay autoride rear shock replacements, which I have heard are just air shocks with electronic deletes built in (they have the plug). They were like $120 delivered. Well after about a year, one of the shocks has lost its lower bushing and unless I want to turn a solid one of aluminum, It needs to be replaced. As mentioned I am on a budget - which partially got me in this situation in the first place. I am looking at the Monroe 90012 set-up which eliminates the whole autoride system and uses a passive rear air shock that still allows the compressor to inflate. OR the Monroe MA830, which actually looks like the one included in the 90012 kit. In which I would keep the front autoride shocks. They do have about 145k miles on them so I am unsure if they are any good anyways.

So if anybody has experience with these kits or shock I would appreciate it. I would also consider removing the air pump and just using a airline schraeder to fill them when needed. I had some 1" drop springs in there before and it was just too low when towing, but would consider replacing them if I went the air shock route.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I junked my autoride 2-3 years ago and i replaced the shocks with billstein 5100 shocks and kept the stock springs which are softer because they`re assisted by the autoride shocks. I only have a small 6x12 trailer that i use for my UTV and it tows fine with no swaying or sagging but obviously your trailer is much heavier.

You could get Z71 springs which are stronger and will raise the rear slightly or just get helper air bags that mount inside the coil springs, You just fill them with air when you tow and deflate when done via a schrader valve.

My brother, @Scottydoggs just put the helper bags and 5100 shocks in his 05 tahoe but i don`t think he has towed anything yet but maybe he has some input. The shocks and bags would probably run you around $400

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not towed a thing with them yet. i keep them at like 5 psi unloaded like recommended and its taken the body roll out of it.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the airlift spring helper bags. I originally had them on a schrader and now i have them with the interior gauge/panel and an under the truck compressor. Threw all the stock crap out.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the helper bags. Anybody used the autoride and helper bags together?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ive use helper bags and autoride together before. Honestly 2" drop springs/helper bags tow better than the oem set up with autoride. THe helper bags just can handle a lot more weight

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They fit inside the coils. I set them up whever a customer needs to tow