Bucking? Variable RPM at constant throttle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raysheen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, new here and had a question for you all.
I have a 2010 Yukon XL 5.3L with 150k on it.

A few weeks back I was getting some stuttering/bucking between 1500 and 2000 RPM. Feared it was a transmission issue. Brought it to my mechanic who is usually pretty good to me...he said he thought it was something else. Ended up changing plugs, wires, and throttle body. That seemed to solve the issue, but it started happening again today at the same engine speed.

Some thoughts/random info from my end.
I tried recreating the issue in park and it doesn't stutter, but if I try to hold the throttle in a constant position at 2k then it will stay there for a 10-20 seconds, then dip down to 1250-1500...then come back up for a second or two...then back down. I'm wondering if this is causing the bucking by rpm changes between gears?

I have an aftermarket air cleaner on the vehicle and just noticed that it wasn't sealing well. Maybe a dirty MAF? It's possible the shop cleaned it when they did their tuneup and it is now dirty again?

Other thoughts to get me started in the right direction? This forum has helped me. A lot over the years!! Thanks very much in advance for any insight you could give me.

OP
OP
R

Raysheen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: Changed the air filter to an OEM style and cleaned the MAF sensor and it doesn't appear to be a dirty sensor.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You ever figure this out?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have same issue. I felt a stutter/bucking and cleaned MAF and replaced plugs. The truck had to relearn and that made it do same behavior when you rev at idle where it sticks then slightly goes down and goes back up then back down. This improved the more you drive but its still there. I was told transmission has issue that causes that. Hoping its something different since I never have any other issues no matter where i'm at in rpm's and drives fine when you accelerate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh