Broken rear window heating element

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

razor488

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The male metal connector that is attached to the corner of the rear window heating element has broken off. This leaves the female cord piece dangling. I talked to my local dealership and they are telling me the entire back window would need to be replaced to fix it.... Can anyone please verify this as accurate information?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, yep. There is copper tape and copper paint to fix the lines (elements) but for the connector, it needs to be replaced. That said, if it has to be replaced, I suppose that you could try a high heat solder gun. If it shatters the window, nothing lost.

Don't suppose it's still under warranty?

wphtexas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The male metal connector that is attached to the corner of the rear window heating element has broken off. This leaves the female cord piece dangling. I talked to my local dealership and they are telling me the entire back window would need to be replaced to fix it.... Can anyone please verify this as accurate information?
Have a 2003 Tahoe. Same problem, male connector hanging from the wire. Dealer fixed it with Permatex made just for this purpose. Works fine 2 yrs later.

wphtexas

OP
OP
R

razor488

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Are you able to buy this male metal piece as a single part?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably still connected to the wiring...

wphtexas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a 2003 Tahoe. Same problem, male connector hanging from the wire. Dealer fixed it with Permatex made just for this purpose. Works fine 2 yrs later.

wphtexas

Since the tab was still connected to the wire, it was not an issue. From your post, I was under the impression that you still had the tab. Looking up the product it indicates that it contains an electrically conductive tab adhesive.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So mine broke on my 2006 and I lost the little metal tab. I was able to pull a tab off a hatch of a tahoe at a junkyard that looks like mine. I had ordered a kit online on a recommendation from another member here. I think ta something like defroster fixer or something. Little kit with the asdhesive that me mentions^ that conducts electricity. It works perfect. The tab was free from the junkyard and the kit online I think was like 15 bucks.

OP
OP
R

razor488

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like my only hope is to find this part in a junk yard since GM won't sell it apart from the entire window.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can probably save your old tab. Get the product from Frost Fighter ( https://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm ). I've heard that the Permatex doesn't last for some people. I used Frostfighter last year and it's still holding well.

OP
OP
R

razor488

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can probably save your old tab. Get the product from Frost Fighter ( https://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm ). I've heard that the Permatex doesn't last for some people. I used Frostfighter last year and it's still holding well.

The problem is I don't know where the tab is.

Long story short, I was getting ready for business partners to come in town and I had my car washed. The car wash damaged this piece but I was in a hurry and I didn't really understand what the guy was trying to tell me about my rear window (He didn't speak english very well...) so I just ignored it and hurried on with my day. Obviously a big mistake.

Edit: I thought the tab was lost but it is still attached to the female connector. I will try Frostfighter.

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne