Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cast LS pans are actually a structural part of the bottom end of the engine, so it's pretty strong. I doubt they engineered it intentionally to support the engine with a jack on the bottom, but it's obviously fine as long as the load is spread out.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also used a standard harbor freight 2 ton jack with wood on top on the rear of oil pan. On the 4X4, there isnt much room elsewhere on the oil pan to jack the engine up. The wood is more to brace the impact as contact with jack could bend, dent, or puncture hole.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some solid and flat points on the bottom of the block on each side that can be used for lifting the motor. They're kinda small, but if you're doing one side at a time this shouldn't be a problem. Either way, you should only be lifting it just what's necessary.

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some solid and flat points on the bottom of the block on each side that can be used for lifting the motor. They're kinda small, but if you're doing one side at a time this shouldn't be a problem. Either way, you should only be lifting it just what's necessary.

Great info! I am always cautious around oil pans. My 300zx oil pan is made of thin stamped metal and can be dented by road debris. If you look at a 300zx OEM oil pan the wrong way, it will probably cave in lol.

swat2380

Reaction score
I'm going to tackle this soon and plan on doing both at the same time. Been thinking that if one is bad the good mount has been flexing more than it should. That will probably shorten the life of the other which likely already has more "play" than it should supporting a bad mount. In turn this will make the new one work harder from the start and so on. This is all in theory but it makes sense in my head. May as well do the trans mount while I'm at it too

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to tackle this soon and plan on doing both at the same time. Been thinking that if one is bad the good mount has been flexing more than it should. That will probably shorten the life of the other which likely already has more "play" than it should supporting a bad mount. In turn this will make the new one work harder from the start and so on. This is all in theory but it makes sense in my head. May as well do the trans mount while I'm at it too
You might rethink that after doing one from what I've heard about how much fun they are. You know what they say, if it ain't broke...

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driver side mount suffers from being stretched during the engine’s power stroke whereas the passenger side mount experiences compression; thus, the driver side mount seems to fail earlier and more frequently than does the passenger side mount.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The driver side mount suffers from being stretched during the engine’s power stroke whereas the passenger side mount experiences compression; thus, the driver side mount seems to fail earlier and more frequently than does the passenger side mount.
Yeah I've literally never heard of the passenger side going bad. I suppose it's possible but unlikely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew