Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some engines must use rubber mounts as they are part of balancing the engine. A solid mount would soon tear the engine apart. I thought that I read somewhere these LS engines were that way too. Such was the case with the old Buick V6s.

I could see that but what about all these vettes and Camaros running around solid mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent my pics to a buddy of mine who happens to be the same guy who tuned my truck. This is what he sent me. We discussed this issue when he tuned my truck. It like where’s Waldo with all the clutter! Haha!
f74d16f4e134419b993b41eb66da9d78.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really like the idea of a solid mount. The vibes from the engine transferred to the frame and cabin are one thing. But the shocks from hitting sharp bumps are only absorbed so much by the suspension. The rest are transferred to the frame, which the engine block is now essentially a part of. I just think that's some excessive forces to be put on those 3 or 4 bolting points. It might take some hardcore off-roading or really hard street driving to crack an engine block, but shit happens.

Last edited:

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really like the idea of a solid mount. The vibes from the engine transferred to the frame and cabin are one thing. But the shocks from hitting sharp bumps are only absorbed so much by the suspension. The rest are transferred to the frame, which the engine block is now essentially a part of. I just think that's some excessive forces to be put on those 3 or 4 bolting points. It might take some hard core off-roading or really hard street driving to crack an engine block, but shit happens.
Good point. I beat on my trucks pretty hard. Like you said shit happens! We shall see....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see that but what about all these vettes and Camaros running around solid mounted?

I don't know, these engines are new to me still.

What we did with the Buicks was to add a turnbuckle between the alternator bracket and the upper control arm bolt giving it just enough slack to move some but not enough to bust the driver's side mount and transmission mount which we did quite frequently.

I wasn't worried about my mounts but since the Black Bear tune, when the truck downshifts back into first such as when coming out of a u-turn the whole front end lifts up as the motor spins towards 6,000 rpms. After doing that tonight my tranny made some funny bumps/shudders as I slowed to the next light and it was down-shifting back to first. Didn't do it again though.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the "solid" modification in the above post seems like a good idea, but I would think you would still need some give. I haven't gotten around to changing mine out yet, but I think I will still go with the chain idea. I'd rather have a little give but set the chain to where it is limited. Looking how bad that busted mount looked, I need to set aside time to get mine done, the thump is getting worse on mine.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had an intermittently vibrating ride during braking for a while. Initially thought it was warped rotors but replaced brakes and it still was present now and then. Discovered my driver side motor mount was toast. Replaced it today----or, should say, paid a shop to replace it today. No more vibrating.

Just hope that the new mount lasts.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine Saturday. What a PITA. I have never wanted a lift so bad in my life. I ache in places I have never ached in before. I am a big guy and big guys don't fit in small places.

Mine wasn't torn completely apart but it had some serious cracks in it. I had just began to start bending the cross bolt. Also I noticed that the bolts on the engine block were not very tight. The bolts on the frame were tight all the way out. Going back in, I had hell with one bolt and had to "work" the hole to get the bolt to thread back into the frame. I bought the Anchor brand with Lifetime warranty. God forbid I have to replace it, if I do, I am going to pay someone to do it.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine Saturday. What a PITA. I have never wanted a lift so bad in my life. I ache in places I have never ached in before.

God forbid I have to replace it, if I do, I am going to pay someone to do it.

Glad that you got it done, but I totally understand your point about this being a major PITA.

I watched more than a few YouTube videos on this task and tried to talk myself into doing it myself with the help of a buddy. I ultimately decided to just bite the bullet and pay a shop to do it----and most people who post about doing it seem to say that is they had to do it over again they'd rather pay someone to do versus tackling it again.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just tried to tackle this job this weekend and couldnt finish. Easily took bolts holding from top but since I have a DIFF in the way, the video I studied religiously didnt apply. I also bought an ANchor mount so I really need to do this job myself in the event that it breaks again. If it was OEM I was installing, I would feel better about letting someone do it and thinking it was a once in a long time thing...studying more and hoping to go back in and get this done once and for all through fender.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec