Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was worried about that. No vibration whatsoever! Feels just like stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know how you don't feel vibes. Maybe your engine just idles so smoothly? Does it have AFM?

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I remember back in the sixties Chevy had a problem with the small block mounts, the recall put a small steel cable around the mount so that the engine wouldn't torque over.
So 45 - 50 years later they still don't know how to make a motor mount.

Back in the 80's Mercedes 190E had liquid filled motor mounts, Great idea, no vibration but a very high failure rate due to excessive heat from the exhaust. Recall solution Install a cooling vent duct from the front to the motor mount. Gotta love that German engineering.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you don't feel vibes. Maybe your engine just idles so smoothly? Does it have AFM?
I have the AFM turned off with a custom computer tune. I was really expecting vibration and was ok with that as long as I didn’t have to replace them anytime soon. I was honestly shocked/excited when I first drove it that there was no solid mount vibration. I went back and forth on how I wanted to do this. I let the mounts sit on my work bench for months brainstorming. I got sick of trying to over engineer this and went for it. My truck doesn’t run all that smooth compared to my 06 Tahoe and 09 Suburban. That being said... I’m about to do the exact same thing to my Suburban. When it’s complete on that truck I will be able to really tell if there is a vibration.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new mount on the shelve right now I need to Install. How much to send it to you to add the steel? I'd be down to give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would do it for $50 and you pay shipping.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear there is no vibration. But according to other member, the failure is due to too much rubber or something not associated with how its held? How does strengthening the frame prevent the rubber from getting damaged?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear there is no vibration. But according to other member, the failure is due to too much rubber or something not associated with how its held? How does strengthening the frame prevent the rubber from getting damaged?

The flat bar that he welded in solidly connects the two halves which makes it rigid mount. The rubber between the two halves isn't doing any cushioning, it's just "there".

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the AFM turned off with a custom computer tune. I was really expecting vibration and was ok with that as long as I didn’t have to replace them anytime soon. I was honestly shocked/excited when I first drove it that there was no solid mount vibration. I went back and forth on how I wanted to do this. I let the mounts sit on my work bench for months brainstorming. I got sick of trying to over engineer this and went for it. My truck doesn’t run all that smooth compared to my 06 Tahoe and 09 Suburban. That being said... I’m about to do the exact same thing to my Suburban. When it’s complete on that truck I will be able to really tell if there is a vibration.

No AFM explains it. V8s generally run smoother than 6- and especially 4-cylinder engines and the LS engine is pretty smooth. Just some (most?) have random shakes and/or vibes at idle, and that's when you're gonna feel them, if any. I had poly mounts on my S10 (V6) and it buzzed everything at idle but instantly smoothed out as soon as it was revved any amount above idle. Like you, I was ok with it cuz I was content in knowing the motor wasn't going anywhere.

Looking forward to your updates on this.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Recall solution Install a cooling vent duct from the front to the motor mount. Gotta love that German engineering.

"Yo, I'm diggin' those high-performance brake cooling ducts!"

"Those are actually to cool my motor mounts..."

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some engines must use rubber mounts as they are part of balancing the engine. A solid mount would soon tear the engine apart. I thought that I read somewhere these LS engines were that way too. Such was the case with the old Buick V6s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium