Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HihoTaho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone make an aftermarket part that doesn't break every 80k miles. Sorry GM. No reason to pay a small fortune every 80k miles because you under-engineered the part. Those of us with hybrids they want more than $1200 to replace the motor mounts. There has to be a 4wd customization place with ruggidized mounts.

HihoTaho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How has there not been a recall on these. GM had to spend millions in recalling all of the 70s pickups for a similar problem.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they just rubber and steel? Or is there anything else? I got an unexplainable rusty orange stain on my oil pan that looks like it drained from somewhere around the motor mount. It doesn't rub off of the aluminum like a rusty water stain and I am just curious if there is some kind of dampening fluid in the mounts that could have leaked? I haven't did the "test" to see if mine are gone.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they just rubber and steel? Or is there anything else? I got an unexplainable rusty orange stain on my oil pan that looks like it drained from somewhere around the motor mount. It doesn't rub off of the aluminum like a rusty water stain and I am just curious if there is some kind of dampening fluid in the mounts that could have leaked? I haven't did the "test" to see if mine are gone.

They are hydraulic mounts, so they're fluid-filled. I have the same rusty water-colored stains.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH DUH! Excuse my stupidity. :Boo: I guess I need to check and see if needs to be replaced.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH DUH! Excuse my stupidity. :Boo: I guess I need to check and see if needs to be replaced.

Lol
It does. If it's popped and leaking, it's broken. I'll take the old one off your hands. I'm still collecting them for experimental purposes.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol
It does. If it's popped and leaking, it's broken. I'll take the old one off your hands. I'm still collecting them for experimental purposes.
I bought my Tahoe used in Feb., I am unsure if it had already been replaced. When I get a chance I will have a co-worker help me check for engine movement. I just noticed the stain while doing an oil change and originally thought about a leaky freeze plug until I couldn't remove the stain.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Tahoe used in Feb., I am unsure if it had already been replaced. When I get a chance I will have a co-worker help me check for engine movement. I just noticed the stain while doing an oil change and originally thought about a leaky freeze plug until I couldn't remove the stain.

There are reports of them breaking again within 20K miles after replacing them, so who knows?! You really don't need any help to check. Just hold the brake firmly with it in "D" and hit the throttle. You don't have to floor it, but you wanna sharply push it 1/3-1/2 way. If you feel a hard bump, then the driver's side mount is busted. I was wondering if that stain could be easily cleaned off. I guess I have my answer. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins