Broken 2nd row chair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBiggs228

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I folded down one of my second row seats and when I went to unfold the back of the seat won't lock into place. Has anyone experienced this? Wondering if it's a simple fix or should I look for someone parting out

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the release cables on the underside is probably at fault. Either the end has become insecure or the cable itself is stretched or fubar'd. I may be wrong but that's what it sounds like.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@MrBiggs228, it sounds like these are the second row bucket seats, right?

FWIW, if they're like my '04's, the release for the seat back is a mechanical lever on only the outboard side of the seat, with no linkage to the other side. It has a coil spring on the shaft, behind the trim piece, so maybe that's broken or has come loose. That spring returns the latch and handle to the lock position when you let go of the lever. Looks like you could take the plastic trim piece off with one Phillips screw to get to it.

There is one cable on mine, and that releases the headrest when folding down the seat back. Nothing to do with releasing the seat back.

OP
OP
M

MrBiggs228

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the locking mechanism was stuck so some wd40 and a little prying worked. Going to order a new cable as well