Brand new rotors/pads squeaking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like they're glazed to me. I would ask for different pads. Do you know what brand and type they used? You might be able to get them to stop squeaking by bedding them in though. It also might be too late if glazing is the problem, until the top surface wears down. Hard to tell.

The rotors and pads are both AC Delco Professional, just one step down from the full-blown GM factory stuff. They don't even make the factory rotors anymore, so these are the ones that the dealerships now use. I didn't think I had to spend $100 on the factory pads, so I went with these instead. I believe they were about $40 from Amazon.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rotors and pads are both AC Delco Professional, just one step down from the full-blown GM factory stuff. They don't even make the factory rotors anymore, so these are the ones that the dealerships now use. I didn't think I had to spend $100 on the factory pads, so I went with these instead. I believe they were about $40 from Amazon.
Like rocket said, they do sound glazed. Try his bedding procedure but i would def bring it back. I have used factory, cheap, midline and every brand/type and haven’t ever had a squeal.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are the instructions for GMT900s:

BRAKE PAD AND ROTOR BURNISHING
Burnishing the brake pads and brake rotors is necessary in order to ensure that the braking surfaces are properly
prepared after service has been performed on the disc brake system.
This procedure should be performed whenever the disc brake rotors have been refinished or replaced, and/or
whenever the disc brake pads have been replaced.
1. Select a smooth road with little or no traffic.
2. Accelerate the vehicle to 48 km/h (30 mph).
3. Using moderate to firm pressure, apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a stop. Do not allow the brakes
to lock.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until approximately 20 stops have been completed. Allow sufficient cooling periods
between stops in order to properly burnish the brake pads and rotors.

In addition, more than once I've seen shops put the pads on backwards. Doing mine own rears now and the old pads were on the wrong sides and because of that the inside pad made very little contact with the rotor; knuckleheads.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love EBC YS pads..... by far the best pad I have ever bought. I need to get some for my Yukon here pretty soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins