Brand New 2018 Yukon <300 Miles Dead Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is my first Yukon and post on this site so please be patient if I break any rules or decorum. I did read a bunch of battery threads, but didn't see any on a brand new purchase. I purchased my Yukon Denali in early December 2017. I have only put 300 miles on it. I drove it yesterday, backed it into the garage at 6pm. This morning at 7am battery was completely dead. Tried to jump with a starter pack, no dice. Tow truck tried to start with jump start, no dice after 10 minutes of charging. Luckily I was able to get it enough juice to get it into neutral, but just barely.

It's at the dealer now and they say the battery was stone dead, but holds a charge. They say it is good and don't see any draws when parked. They are keeping it over night for observations. However, I wanted to check with the experts here to see if this as been experienced before and if any issue/resolution was identified.

Thanks in advance!

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like a lot people (myself included), the dealers state that the battery is good. They are not. Have them replace it as a "courtesy."

OP
OP
M

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
dbbd1 - Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to give them the night and see what they say. I'll push for the battery replacement. Given the # of cars I've purchased from them, they shouldn't give me a hassle. It will be a good test!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a feature on the trucks that keeps the batteries from draining before they are sold? Might this feature also prevent them from being charged if not deactivated? I just read about recently somewhere by chance...

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a feature on the trucks that keeps the batteries from draining before they are sold? Might this feature also prevent them from being charged if not deactivated? I just read about recently somewhere by chance...

Not sure if you read what I posted about my 2007 Sub in relation to the potential parasitic drain on my 2015 Escalade. At least the older platform has a feature that will kill all power to things like interior lights accidentally left on (after 10-15 minutes) to preserve the battery. I must presume that the newer models, especially a 2017/18 must have similar built in safeguards.
Thus there is a high probability that the battery has a bad or weakened cell, if not a short.

OP, there is a chance you had something that drained the battery to the point of not being able to start it, regardless of the 10 minute "charge" the tow truck attempted. Many times it is nothing more than cables integrated into the alternator of the tow truck, thus hardly an actual charge of 10 minutes. Plus a fully discharged battery will take more than a 10 minute charge to start it with all the sophisticated electronics of a modern car. That is exacerbated if things like the A/C, radio, and other potential drains were not shut off prior to attempting to start it. Plus a 13-14 "charge" for 10 minutes without the ability to boost it to at least 50 amps upon start attempt, is like pissing into the ocean as far as effect.

As another poster suggested, get them to take the existing battery that there is supposedly nothing wrong with, and put it into one of the used inventory they have, and give you a fresh AC Delco battery. If you have a relationship with this dealer, it is a no brainer.

`

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, there is a transport mode or battery saver mode...

Yukon Battery Saver Mode

Battery Saver Mode (Transport Mode)
Battery saver mode (transport mode) reduces the parasitic load of some modules during overseas shipment or during vehicle storage conditions. This improves the drain time on the battery (up to 70 days without the battery going dead). When a vehicle is in transport/storage, some features may have reduced functionality while in the battery saver mode, such as disabling keyless entry, afterblow, and content theft features. Battery saver mode is initiated by turning on the hazard flashers, applying the brake pedal, and then turning the ignition key to the start position or pushing the ignition mode switch with the foot on the brake for greater than 15 seconds. The mode is disengaged by repeating the previous process. The driver information center (if equipped) will display Transport Mode is On when battery saver mode is enabled and Transport Mode is Off when battery saver mode is disabled. For vehicles not equipped with a driver information center, the battery indicator light will constantly flash on the Instrument Cluster when battery saver mode is enabled. This feature can be used as many times as necessary if the vehicle is to be stored for an extended period of time.

But it sounds like it just shuts down unnecessary features, nothing about not charging. But, hey, you never know...

OP
OP
M

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Vector - Thanks for the input. I should have let it charge more, but after 30 minutes in 5 degree weather I was done. At that point I was just happy I could get the car in neutral and didn't have to drag it out of my garage. I know the cold can impact batteries, but it had weathered our last sub-zero freeze un-started fro 3-4 days so I was baffled when a 13 hours cold soak caused the issue. I figure if there's some recurring drain they should find it tonight given the speed it happened. Either way I'll be pushing for a new battery.

Also, the Transport Mode is interesting. Definitely didn't show up on the DIC as being on. That said, I do get a chuckle every winter when my DIC tells me it's freezing...

OP
OP
M

MaizeNBlue98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks to Vector and swathdiver and dbbd1 for the responses. Quick update, dealer said battery checked out fine. They kept the car for 36 hours testing the resting draw at 4 different points with no abnormal results. They replaced the battery upon request and it's back in my garage. At least if it happens again, I'll know it's not the battery. Figures crossed it was just a freak incident.

Terry Hurlburt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon Denali, that I bought in December of 2017 also. It has been a very reliable vehicle that I have thoroughly enjoyed. About a month ago, after a ~1150 mile trip I parked it in my garage. A couple days later it was stone cold dead. It showed a dead short and I could not jump start it with any of my jumper/battery boxes.
I had a company come to the house and replace the battery with an Excide AGM battery and all seemed fine. Drove the Yukon to Chicago a few days ago. Yet yesterday when I went to drive the vehicle the battery was dead. I have had it on a trickle charger for 24 hours and it is still not holding a charge? I am going to try to jump start it again, but may end up towing it to the dealer. Something is definitely wrong?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some have reported problems with the positive battery cable. May want to have the Dealer start with that. Seems odd that it won't even take a charge as if there is a constant draw. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys