Brake upgrade options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read the summit link - note it isn't a full Brembo kit - it's Brembo calipers on Duralife (same as OEM manufacturer) rotors

Brembo rotors wouldn't have been much more but probably left them out for even more profit

OP
OP
2016YUKONSLT

2016YUKONSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who wants to buy larger rotrs that aren't Xdrilled or slotted though...lol...

FJ40INTOW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had drilled a slotted rotors (same diameter) on front of my 2500 HD. I put 150K miles on them. Bozo techs refused to turn them so I bought new OEM. The drilled holes and slots did help them run cooler. I was very happy with them.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slotted is awesome especially if you tow. Drilled is ok only if your Rich and can gamble

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the part numbers for the GM brembo calipers are:
84263244 and 84263245

I can not find any info on them

rattmobbins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slotted is awesome especially if you tow. Drilled is ok only if you're rich and can gamble

I've installed drilled and slotted rotors on almost every single vehicle I've ever owned, and I've never had a single issue. Not. One.

Everyone acts like drilled rotors crack if you look at them funny. Yeah, the $50 set you slap on your riced out Honda might, but if you buy a quality set of drilled rotors from a reputable company, they'll last you forever.

Almost every single big brake manufacturer uses drilled AND slotted rotors with their kits, and there's a reason for it. They're better. And trust me, companies who charge $5k+ for a big brake kit are NOT selling you an inferior rotor design.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. They sell them because people ask for it. merc Amg execs even admitted that.

My stoptech str kit on my race car has no cross drilling. Wasn't even an option.
Go look at any WEC cars brakes. Slotted only.

Cross drilled are for disposable rotors. I can't afford to dispose of them. If you look at a proper set of heated rotors, an rotor that actually spends time at its proper temp, you will see when it cools thousand and thousands of tiny cracks.
On a rotor with out holes, these cracks srt on the surface layer and don't have the ability to effect the thickness of the rotor.
When you add holes, cross drilled, those cracks now form in the walls of the holes drilled and now have a way to split the rotor. This is where the cracks form.

Brembo, ap, Alcon Stop tech, etc sell cross drilled rotors because people demand them.

Race teams, especially endurance racing use slotted rotors to eliminate gas pockets under the pad and to sweep the pad and that's it.

I'm sure you will find one or two race cars that use drilled rotors but the majority don't.
Even top level time attack cars, the one lap
Wonders, where weight is everything, don't use them.

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fifty is right, cross drilled is just marketing and people love the look

Ratt is also right, though, decent cross drilled rotors while weaker will not crack under normal street use

That's why you see OEM production cars with cross drilled rotors

Real track drivers use solid rotors, a small minority run slotted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne