Brake Pedal Squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

enfd197

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2008 chevy hybrid. The truck has 27000 miles on it. I love it but one problem is the brake pedal. With the engine on or off you get a bad squeak. Every time I press on the brake. Some times realy loud. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmm, I can't say that I do Rick. :think:

My truck only has 22xxx miles on it so maybe mine will do it eventually.

Just be mindful that anything related to brakes must be handled by the dealer ... you don't want someone unfamiliar with the regenerative brake system poking around in there.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's inside the truck, correct?

if you have adjustable pedals cycle them back and forth a couple times to redistribute the grease on the track. mine does it every so often and that works for me.

scotttick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same problem

I have a 2009 Tahoe and have the same squeek. Would really like to find an answer to the problem. I do not have the adjustble pedals, and it is hard to narrow it down to one area under the dash.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine pedal squeals from time to time.

BTW, is the brake pedal supposed to be pretty soft. After depressing the pedal to the point of stopping the vehicle, I can still push the pedal all the way down. Is this normal? I'm used to stiffer pedals in sports cars and don't have much experience with American SUV's.

CM Burns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just encountered this problem with my Denali, its been building over the last 6 months, the pedal squealed when I bought and eventually got worse to the point where it was very loud, and more like an old wooden antique door in a house...

I tried the pedal adjustment back and forth about 10 times, that immediately got it back to a soft squeak and then I pushed the pedal all the way to the floor one good time (the oh-shit someone just ran a red light kinda brake-stop) and that eliminated it 100%.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CM Burns,

Hey there! I understand that you are seeking technical advice from your fellow forum members and I might not be able to give you any technical advice. I would be happy to look into this concern and work with your local dealership to resolve this issue if you find you cannot resolve it yourself. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

mn.cam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would very much appreciate ANY help or advice with my squeaky brake pedal.

I have had this problem for 3 of the 4 years with my 2011 Tahoe. 4 trips to dealerships and 1 to local garage - $400 part replacement ($100 paid by me) - absolutely NO improvement. Would gladly pay $$ to make this go away if anyone knew what to try. Kind of gave up, but it gets to me some days when it REALLY gets loud.

I realize this problem is rare (and just some bad luck) but I'm still disappointed by GM's inability to own and fix this. Nice folks but the offer little more than "Sorry, we tried - see you at your next oil change".

Cam

jprevost

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same problem. Haven't addressed it yet. Will try the cycling of the pedal position but I believe it's in the bushing of the pedal pivot and not the adjusting track mechanism.