Brake Pad Monitor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamlegion

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! That is what I was looking for, the mechanics of it. I wonder if non dealers can replace the sensor
Don’t understand what you’re asking? You replace the sensor with the pads.. it wears right along with the pads. You don’t ever replace it independently.

they work by wearing out a layer of material and the vehicle monitors the change in material lost to estimate pad life.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021 Yukon Denali - Just had my front brakes replaced - pads and calipers. They said the 31% dashboard info was wrong because the sensor wasn't working and old brakes were almost worn 100%.

I just picked it up and it still shows 31% for front brakes on the DIC. The DIC won't let me reset. I guess I'll have to take it back in and it needs a computer assisted reset?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021 Yukon Denali - Just had my front brakes replaced - pads and calipers. They said the 31% dashboard info was wrong because the sensor wasn't working and old brakes were almost worn 100%.

I just picked it up and it still shows 31% for front brakes on the DIC. The DIC won't let me reset. I guess I'll have to take it back in and it needs a computer assisted reset?
Can this factually happen, or did they just buffalo you into replacing things that may not be needed? If done early enough, should you need new rotors?

E_S_D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a bunch of DTCs regarding brake issues, the dealer replaced the brake master cylinder/booster/master controller under warranty. My brake life went from 85% back up to 100%, so I'm not too sure how accurate those wear sensors are ...

Reaction score
I'd guess that some cars, especially newer ones, might have sensors that keep an eye on the brake pads. Since your car is pretty new, you might have one of these.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got new front pads/calipers installed on my f2021 Yukon Denali at my local auto shop but the DIC didn't update.

Turns out that after market brake sensor replacements have to be programed so the computer / DIC will see the brake %. The factory computer doesn't automatically communicate with after market sensors.

But the good news - it's working now so you can definitely have after market brakes installed :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bos7414