Brake lights won't turn off !! HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zo6_shawn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1997 tahoe 2dr 4x4..

Here's what's going on .. recently changed brake booster and all was working perfect ! , woke up the next morning to my brake lights on. Once I turn on the truck they shut off and worked fine as I pressed the brakes..

Went to work , came back to the truck after work and they were on again.. and I made sure they were off when I parked.. so I played with the switch and nothing , turned on the truck and they went off .. so here's what I did ..

I made sure they were off , then turned off the truck , with the truck off I pumped the brakes a few times and boom , they stayed on .. turned on the truck and off they went.. so I figured it was the switch on the pedal arm so I replaced it. Well I'm back to step 1 because the same thing keeps happening.. as if the brake pressure is loading up as the truck is parked over night.. could it be an issue with the booster push rod ? They looked identical to each other .. any help would be appreciated

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your pedal is sinking as it sits, to the point where the switch makes contact. When you pumped them with the truck off did the pedal not return to as high as it was when it was running? I'd say the rod is sinking when its not running. Like the booster has a small leak internally? Or some other problem, I don't know how they are made. You'd think for them to sit months and not have this issue there would have to be a return spring inside the booster or something. I'm assuming there isn't one on the pedal assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter